Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDMI Connection to Projector - Macbook Pro Connects but no Video

Hello Apple community, in the last five years I have owned two macbook pros, both with the same issue of connecting to a projector via an HDMI connection. My college's IT department, in their infinite wisdom, decided to convert all connections to the projectors to HDMI with no option for VGA anymore. The trouble is that my MacBooks will seemingly detect the projector but I get no video from the projector via standard HDMI connections using a standard HDMI cable (Early 2015 Macbook Pro with HDMI port or Mid 2012 Macbook pro with HDMI adapter and HDMI cable).

The weird part is that an apple tv will connect to the projectors no problem using HDMI. Both macbook pros will connect and display video IF I connect with a direct connect to the projector. Another weird aspect of this problem is that I CAN connect using a display port to DVI adapter followed by a DVI to HDMI cable, but I lose audio. The trouble arises when I use the school's myriad HDMI switch boxes. Is this issue of no video just a simple matter of the cables being too long? Inferior switch boxes? Like I said, it's weird that the appletvs connect fine and the macbook pros connect but no video.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 10:25 AM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2016 10:42 AM in response to Matt Evans

DVI do not carry sound per se

DVI does not carry audio signal at all. Some GPUs do support audiothrough their DVI ports if they sense its going into an HDMI cable even though it wouldnt be supported over a DVI cable, i guess they have to get a bit creative with the sensing and wiring inside to get it done.Oct 29, 2010

Does dvi to hdmi carry audio - Graphics Cards - Displays - Tom'

Can you use the Apple TV as an intermediary to project the presentations via the mirroring on the Mac?

Apr 28, 2016 1:01 PM in response to ManSinha

I am aware that DVI does not carry sound, I knew that. What I want to use is just a standard HDMI cable with the built in HDMI port of my macbook pro connected to a projector. Why do I have to use a DVI connection for this too work? Why is it the Apple TV works fine with the same cable, connection, and projector and the macbook pro with a built-in port doesn't? Why is that I can direct connect the HDMI cable to the projector from the laptop and it works fine but it does not work through the lectern connection?

The only potential explanations that I have is: the HDMI cables are too long, the macbook pro just does not put out a strong enough signal, or the macbook pro is putting out the wrong type of signal?

HDMI Connection to Projector - Macbook Pro Connects but no Video

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.