Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6s won't connect to VPN on work wifi but will on other wifi networks

Hi

I have been connected to my work wifi for a while and have had to use a VPN in order to use things such as whats'app and access websites like Facebook. This had been working fine until recently the VPN just will not connect when I am connected to this wifi network. I know the password etc. is correct and I get the wifi symbol at the top of my phone but I can't ever access any websites (this was normal but the VPN fixed it), but now I can't connect the same VPN anymore.

The VPN app I use is Betternet but I have also tried a few others, none of which will work. They all work however when I connect to my own wifi network.

iPhone 6s - Latest iOS version as of today (28 Apr 16) can't find the exact version on my phone

Pleaseeeeee help me connect to my VPN when I'm on my work wifi

iPhone 6 Plus

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 11:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 12:48 PM

VPNs can be tricky, may have to consult with Betternet. Also check this article for suggestions.

iOS: Setting up VPN - Apple Support

FWIW below are some general recommendations for Wi-Fi issues, maybe one of them will help.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 12:48 PM in response to DynDean

VPNs can be tricky, may have to consult with Betternet. Also check this article for suggestions.

iOS: Setting up VPN - Apple Support

FWIW below are some general recommendations for Wi-Fi issues, maybe one of them will help.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

Apr 28, 2016 12:57 PM in response to elcpu

thanks for replying.

I Think the issue I am having is more to do with the wifi connection than the device or VPN itself as they work fine. I connect my phone to a wifi device (puck) which works and then the VPN also connects perfectly fine when connected to this network. Only when I connect to the work wifi, no VPN app will connect even though it says I'm connected to the network. I tried the Google DNS settings as 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 but this seemed to have no effect. Not sure if it makes any difference but I am in Afghanistan. The frustrating thing is that is worked perfectly fine until recently, could the IT people have changed the settings on the router to stop VPN connections to servers other than their own? If so is there any way around this?

Apr 29, 2016 6:01 PM in response to DynDean

I have the same problem. iPhone 6 can tether to a laptop and be used to get VPN access remotely. iPhone 6s can only get internet for tethered laptop. Can't provide VPN access. Dell says its Apple, Apple says its ATT and ATT says its Sonicwalls fault. No one knows how to fix it. If you untether the iPhone 6s it works once you plug it back in it doesn't.

Apr 29, 2016 11:23 PM in response to DynDean

DynDean wrote:

The frustrating thing is that is worked perfectly fine until recently, could the IT people have changed the settings on the router to stop VPN connections to servers other than their own? If so is there any way around this?

It's highly likely, and probable. There's a reason IT doesn't want you to access certain apps from within the office, and they discovered you were getting around their block, so they tightened it up. There are probably ways around it using a VPN that uses different ports, but you are presumably violating IT security policy, so if you continue there may be other repercussions beyond just blocking your access.

iPhone 6s won't connect to VPN on work wifi but will on other wifi networks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.