Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it okay to remove protective screen from Mac laptop

Is it okay to remove screen protector from mac laptop? The screen is cracked, and there are many air bubbles; it has been on laptop for more than a year.

MacBook

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 10:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 1:12 PM

If the screen is cracked I'd imagine the screen protector is holding the broken fragments in place. I suspect that you will have a worse screen if you remove the cover - it may pull other pieces from the screen if it is stuck to the screen firmly. You won't be able to apply a new cover if the screen is damaged - it will bubble up again as the surface is not flat & will be tough to clean.

If you do decide to remove true cover, back up first to an external disk. The display may stop working if you are unlucky or heavy handed.

I think it would be a better idea to replace the broken screen.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 1:12 PM in response to nancymorg

If the screen is cracked I'd imagine the screen protector is holding the broken fragments in place. I suspect that you will have a worse screen if you remove the cover - it may pull other pieces from the screen if it is stuck to the screen firmly. You won't be able to apply a new cover if the screen is damaged - it will bubble up again as the surface is not flat & will be tough to clean.

If you do decide to remove true cover, back up first to an external disk. The display may stop working if you are unlucky or heavy handed.

I think it would be a better idea to replace the broken screen.

Is it okay to remove protective screen from Mac laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.