Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to upgrade from OS 10.6.8 to El Capitan on iMac. But FREE Upgrade tells me it can't install but won't say why even when I click Learn More. Suggestions? Help?

Trying to upgrade from OS 10.6.8 to El Capitan on iMac. But FREE Upgrade tells me it can't install but won't say why even when I click Learn More. Suggestions? Help? Appreciate assistance.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Office 2004 11.6.6

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 11:05 AM

14 replies

Apr 28, 2016 11:26 AM in response to kidcubed

Thank you Allan, Krech44, Still learning how to post a proper reply. What I can share is this:

I have an iMac5.1

I received it in August 2009 as a birthday gift.

It has: Processor 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

Memory 1.5GB 667 Mhx , DDR2 SDRAM

Start-Up: Hard Drive

L2 Cache 4MB

Memory Slots:
Bank 0 1Gb

Bank 1 512 mb

What else can I offer that might help explain what I need to do to be able to complete the upgrade?

Apr 28, 2016 12:09 PM in response to Allan Eckert

That's fabulous Allan. Very appreciated. I received it in 2009, but that's not to say it wasn't manufactured during the window of time you expressed. I've never had to tinker with it until now. Educate me here please. How do I install or upgrade RAM? Is this a hardware purchase from and Apple Store or a software update? Can you tell I'm out of my depth? Many thanks for your help.

Apr 28, 2016 1:23 PM in response to kidcubed

To install RAM on iMac read http://computers.tutsplus.com/tutorials/how-to-upgrade-the-ram-in-your-imac--mac -47252

No do not purchase from Apple. They charge too much. Instead go to either Crucial.Com or Macsales.Com. On the Crucial site you can download a scan which will report back to Crucial the specs of your iMac and then create a report of all of your options.

Apr 28, 2016 5:23 PM in response to kidcubed

Just to make sure - is this your model?

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/imac/specs/imac-core-2-duo-2.0-17-inch-spe cs.html

That model can only go to Lion, so that isn't much improvement. And, it will only really use 3 GB of RAM even though can install 4 GB - therefore, your computing experience will not be a happy one with any OS version beyond Snow Leopard. They all require a minimum of 4 GB - and that is the very minimum, 8 GB would be much better.

Apr 28, 2016 5:35 PM in response to kidcubed

Thank you Allan, Krech44, Stedman1 and Babowa.

Your prompt and detailed support is very appreciated.

Yes Babowa, that link you provided seems to detail the nature of my iMac.

But now I'm perplexed.

Allan you suggested I use Crucial to get more memory and that's great. But from what Babowa shares

it might be a less than robust addition since I can't upgrade to more than Lion at 10.7 but heck I'm already on Snow Leopard

at 10.8, so I'm curious if it's even worthwhile?

So is it possible that even if I upgrade to 4GB or more of memory, the rest of the architecture
from 2007 can't support me going to OS 11?

Apr 28, 2016 6:21 PM in response to kidcubed

4GB or more of memory

Well, if that is your machine, the problem is you can't - you can install 2 x 2 GB at most, but it will only address/use 3 GB. Personally, I would not run anything beyond Snow Leopard (which is 10.6.x by the way, not 10.8) on 3 GB RAM unless you do nothing more than surf the internet and write some letters. You will be met with long beachballs if you try to work with photos, videos, or anything else.

And, just for clarification: Snow Leopard is 10.6, Lion = 10.7, mountain lion = 10.8, Mavericks = 10.9, Yosemite = 10.10, and El Capitan = 10.11.

Apr 28, 2016 7:16 PM in response to kidcubed

No problem! The last number on these OS versions usually winds up to be a 4 or 5 (lately) - they start out with 10.6, then find some bugs which they fix in 10.6.1, more bugs are fixed in 10.6.2, etc, etc. until they either figure there are no further bugs to be fixed or simply decide to stop because the next OS version comes out. So, then we start over with 10.7, 10.7.1.........

FWIW, Snow Leopard was an excellent OS (I still like it although I can no longer run it because newer hardware won't run it) - the problem is that it is no longer supported = no more security fixes which are important.

Trying to upgrade from OS 10.6.8 to El Capitan on iMac. But FREE Upgrade tells me it can't install but won't say why even when I click Learn More. Suggestions? Help?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.