Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2011 mbp distorted screen on startup

2011 15-inch MBP running 10.11.4 screen has red lines across it, progress bar goes to about 60% and won't complete startup, after a while screen goes dark and cooling fans come on. Have tried several SMC & NVRAM resets, disconnected battery without success.

Problem initially started on wake up after opening lid, then it started happening when lid was left open and computer was idle for a while, now it happens on startup all the time. Took it to Genius Bar a couple of weeks ago but problem did not happen there, they run diagnostic test and it passed without issues.

I have read about some people having similar issues, wondering if someone found a solution.

Thanks,

EP

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 12:32 PM

4 replies

Apr 28, 2016 12:36 PM in response to ep69

Even though they ran the test at the Apple Store, run it yourself just in case > Using Apple Hardware Test

There has to be a reason for the horizontal red lines and most likely hardware related.

If you haven't done so, you may want to check your warranty status > https://checkcoverage.apple.com

Find the serial number of your Apple hardware product

Apr 28, 2016 12:54 PM in response to Carolyn Samit

Carolyn,

Thanks for the reply, I have tried running AHT before but all my system does when I hold down the D key, I get a gray screen that lasts for a couple of minutes then it goes into the regular boot mode, I never get a screen with the AHT icon. Am I supposed to hold any additional keys? Any other ideas?

Now it is booting up normally, I am not getting the red lines.

My date & serial number is in the range for the display warranty extension.

I don't know what happens if the problem doesn't show up at the Apple store, it looks to me like it is a video hardware issue but Ii would imagine Apple won't do anything if they can't see the issue happening.

Thanks,

EP

2011 mbp distorted screen on startup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.