Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Setting up phone when being asked for passcode

HI, bought a replacement 5S on eBay. Assumed it would be delivered wiped, but once turned on boots up to the passcode rather than hello screen. Do I need to restore via iTunes? I have a recent backup of my old phone which I don't want it to interere with!

iPhone 5s

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 11:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 11:54 AM

If it boots to the passcode screen it is very possible the device is not only Activation Locked, but also still contains former users data. You can try using the instructions here to restore the device, If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support and you will need to use Restore Mode since you do not know the passcode. If it takes you to an activation screen, then it has not been removed from Activation Lock, and you will need to contact the seller. If they cannot remove it from their iCloud account, or do not know the original owner, then demand a refund to return the device. The other alternative if they will not cooperate is to start a claim with eBay for a refund.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 11:54 AM in response to Eee_tee

If it boots to the passcode screen it is very possible the device is not only Activation Locked, but also still contains former users data. You can try using the instructions here to restore the device, If you forgot the passcode for your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, or your device is disabled - Apple Support and you will need to use Restore Mode since you do not know the passcode. If it takes you to an activation screen, then it has not been removed from Activation Lock, and you will need to contact the seller. If they cannot remove it from their iCloud account, or do not know the original owner, then demand a refund to return the device. The other alternative if they will not cooperate is to start a claim with eBay for a refund.

Apr 28, 2016 2:53 PM in response to Eee_tee

Eee_tee wrote:

IT would seem the phone is still Linked to the original owners Apple ID, I have contacted him to remove it

The good news is that you are protected by eBay and won't lost out. Give the seller a maximum of 24 hours to respond to your request to remove the device from their iCloud account. After that, open a dispute with eBay immediately.

Also, it would be wise of you to scan the original listing that you purchased from to see if there is any seller-provided information that would indicate whether you should have expected to be getting a phone that is usable or if it were advertised as iCloud locked in any way.

Apr 29, 2016 5:14 AM in response to ember1205

TThankyou, yes I notified the seller last night, I was going to wait over the weekend as I appreciate not everyone is online everyday but may open a case sooner. I think both the item and seller are genuine, although why you would ship a phone with personal data (albeit data I can't access without a passcode) is lost on me. Certainly no mention on the listing that it would be delivered in this state otherwise I would have avoided. Let's hope he sorts!

Apr 29, 2016 6:49 AM in response to Eee_tee

I wouldn't wait over the weekend. 24 hours, then open a case. The worst thing that can happen is that eBay will step in on your behalf and "force" the seller to take the item back. Be sure to use "not as described" as the reason for the case, and offer supporting details from the listing that show what you should have expected. If there's nothing in the listing that explicitly tells you that you should have expected it to be completely factory reset, not locked, etc., you can cite there being no information saying AS IS, FOR PARTS ONLY, or similar implying that it should be completely ready for activation and it isn't.

Setting up phone when being asked for passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.