Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Old iPod won't show up in iTunes

I found my first iPod. Not even sure what year I got it but I'm guessing 12 years ago...

It charges when I connect it to the computer and it works like a charm but it won't show up in iTunes.

iTunes must have had a million updates since my iPod last played but does anyone have any idea if I can make iTunes recognize it so I can change songs in it?

Same goes for a iPod mini first generation. Charges great thru wall and computer, plays great but iTunes wants nothing to do with it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Sophie

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.4), null

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 12:18 AM

Hi Sophie..

"it won't show up in iTunes" ..

Your profile suggests your Mac is running v10.10.3. If that is the case, updating your OS X software and iTunes may help.

The OS X 10.10.5 and iTunes 12.3.3 updates are available.

Disconnect the iPod prior to installing the updates.

Click your Apple  top left in your screen.

From the drop down menu click About this Mac

Make sure the Overview tab is selected then click Software Update.

Your Mac may restart several times during the update process. That’s ok.

Then reconnect your iPod and see if iTunes recognizes it.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 12:18 AM in response to Soffan73

Hi Sophie..

"it won't show up in iTunes" ..

Your profile suggests your Mac is running v10.10.3. If that is the case, updating your OS X software and iTunes may help.

The OS X 10.10.5 and iTunes 12.3.3 updates are available.

Disconnect the iPod prior to installing the updates.

Click your Apple  top left in your screen.

From the drop down menu click About this Mac

Make sure the Overview tab is selected then click Software Update.

Your Mac may restart several times during the update process. That’s ok.

Then reconnect your iPod and see if iTunes recognizes it.

Apr 29, 2016 12:17 AM in response to Soffan73

OS X 10.11.4 is currently the latest version. My old monochrome-screen iPods (including an iPod mini) work fine with the latest OS X and iTunes, on my Mac mini.

In the latest iTunes, iPods appear as a small device button on the horizontal bar that goes across the iTunes window. Here's a screenshot of my iTunes window (upper left corner) showing an iPod's device button (circled in red).

User uploaded file

You don't see the device button in iTunes when you connect the iPod? If you do, click the device button to show the iPod's settings screen.

If you don't see the device button, watch the iPod's screen when you connect it. Does it initially say "Do no disconnect" or give other indication that there is a connection? Or does it only show the battery charging symbol?

Old iPod won't show up in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.