Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my rendering time extremely slow?

Hello everyone,

I have had Final Cut Pro for awhile now, and I started utilizing it more to edit videos, especially after I purchased my Phantom 4 drone. I have a Late 2015, MacBook Pro Retina 15" with 16GB of RAM, 1TB SSD, 2.6 GHz i7 processor, and AMD Radeon R9 M370X 2GB. I store my video files on a Local 12TB Pegasus NAS on a CAT 6A gigabit network. I have no issues playing 4k video from the NAS as my r/w speeds range from 800Mbps to 1.1Gbps. But when FCPX does background rendering or I output to compressor, the rendering time is RIDICULOUS. Background rendering a 30 second clip with basic effects can take up to 20 minutes. Finalizing a 4 minute video can take 1-2 hours. I monitor my Macs performance and the CPU is sitting at idle....... What is causing this! I remember iMovie can render faster....

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 1:17 PM

3 replies

Apr 28, 2016 1:56 PM in response to CGarcia5

Do you mean rendering or exporting?

Larry Jordan says: https://larryjordan.com/articles/fcpx-5-export-tips/ (mostly about exporting)

1. Optimize media, convert to ProRes422 instead of editing raw camera formats. I don't know what the Phantom shoots, it's probably H.264, that stuff takes a long time to unpack. Are you shooting in the 4k mode?

2. Finish rendering before exporting since it is going to get done anyway.

3. Export using ProRes422. If your media has already been optimized, this is quite fast.

4. Export to master file before moving on to Compressor instead of sharing or sending to Compressor.

5. Export to a different drive than the media is stored on maximizes through put by eliminating all of the processes of hunting for media, processing, and writing new media.

We see the topic regularly on various forums so try extensive rummaging around the webs.

Apr 28, 2016 11:18 PM in response to CGarcia5

Would you by any chance be mixing clips in your project which have different characteristics ?

Be aware that the first clip in your project determine the characteristics for the rest of your project.

I experienced the same problem until I realized that the first clip in my project had been filmed at a 1440 x 1080 resolution, whilst subsequent clips were filmed with a different camera at 1920 x 1080 ; hence FCPX was trying to convert my 1920 x 1080 to 1440 x 1080 to match the first clip.

Cheers

Why is my rendering time extremely slow?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.