Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get normal boot screen back on Mac Pro?

I upgraded the graphics card in my 2008 Mac Pro, which also has bootcamp, but now when I want to switch back to Mac OS X I have to switch out the graphics cards, boot into OS X restart with my OS X disc selected, and then it will stay, instead of being able to hold down the option key during boot to get the disc chooser. Is there a file I can modify so that I get the Apple boot screen, and disc selector back?

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), 2008

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 2:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 2:36 PM

Sounds like the replacement graphics card is a plain PC card and not a Mac-flashed card. Only a Mac-Flashed card will show a boot screen and thus allow use of Option, Recovery and other special startups.

Some mac-flashed cards have a switch on them to select PC or Mac mode

What graphics card did you install?

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 2:36 PM in response to boovish

Sounds like the replacement graphics card is a plain PC card and not a Mac-flashed card. Only a Mac-Flashed card will show a boot screen and thus allow use of Option, Recovery and other special startups.

Some mac-flashed cards have a switch on them to select PC or Mac mode

What graphics card did you install?

Apr 28, 2016 3:00 PM in response to boovish

No way to change via file system. It has to be in the cards firmware. This is because OSX is not even partially loaded for Option key and other special startups

It does not appear that your card can be flashed

http://www.macvidcards.com/store/p81/Nvidia_Flashing_Services.html

After Windows is installed, you can switch between OS X and Windows. Use theStartup Disk preference panein OS X, or theBoot Camp system trayitem in Windows to select your startup disk, then restart your computer.

How to get normal boot screen back on Mac Pro?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.