Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems loading websites with Safari 6.2.8

I have OSX 10.8.5 with Safari 6.2.8 which has worked fine. Safari suddenly stopped loading any and all webpages. Should I upgrade to Yosemite or will that cause more problems? I need Safari to work.

iMac, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 3:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 3:52 PM

You can't upgrade to Yosemite, it's not available anymore. Your only upgrade option is to El Capitan. Running Safari 6.2.8 alone shouldn't cause a complete inability to access any website, so something else might be going on. Please post the results of your EtreCheck report. It's a diagnostics tool developed by a trusted and respected contributor here, and it will allow us to see what is installed on your hard drive in the way of applications, drivers, plugins, extensions, etc. No sensitive issue is included in the report.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 3:52 PM in response to Peliroja1950

You can't upgrade to Yosemite, it's not available anymore. Your only upgrade option is to El Capitan. Running Safari 6.2.8 alone shouldn't cause a complete inability to access any website, so something else might be going on. Please post the results of your EtreCheck report. It's a diagnostics tool developed by a trusted and respected contributor here, and it will allow us to see what is installed on your hard drive in the way of applications, drivers, plugins, extensions, etc. No sensitive issue is included in the report.

Apr 28, 2016 3:57 PM in response to pinkstones

Thank you. I finally just went to Safari> Reset Safari > checked off "Clear History" and "Reset Top Sites". When Safarireloaded, I could access not only all "favorite" sites, but also any other sites. So, I guess it was a simple fix. Not sure what caused it, but someone in my family used my computer yesterday and this person likes to open all kinds of strange sites from Facebook. I am wondering if some malware was somehow installed or something related to visiting a site I would not go to normally. Any thoughts on this reason? Anyhow, thank you, it's working.

problems loading websites with Safari 6.2.8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.