Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Find iPhone app is not picking up all devices

All of a sudden my find iPhone app is not picking up my sons phone this app has be used daily for years. Now all of a sudden it doesn't locate his device

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 2:30 PM

9 replies

Apr 28, 2016 2:36 PM in response to ahighers

This may or may not be the cause of your issue, but in order for his iPhone to ever have shown up on your Find my iPhone, you two would have to be sharing an Apple ID; they are not supposed to be shared.

One of you should create a new Apple ID at http://appleid.apple.com. After one of you have done that and signed in on your device, then you can track his phone through the Find my Friends app.

Apr 28, 2016 2:51 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

stevejobsfan0123 wrote:

This may or may not be the cause of your issue, but in order for his iPhone to ever have shown up on your Find my iPhone, you two would have to be sharing an Apple ID; they are not supposed to be shared.

One of you should create a new Apple ID at http://appleid.apple.com. After one of you have done that and signed in on your device, then you can track his phone through the Find my Friends app.

This is incorrect currently, although it may have been accurate at one point. Setting up a Family Share account will also allow the "Parent" in the family to see all of the "Children" devices.

ahighers: Does the device show up in the list of devices and simply isn't shown on the map? Or, is it not present at all?

Apr 28, 2016 2:59 PM in response to stevejobsfan0123

stevejobsfan0123 wrote:

OP said "for years," which I took to mean before iOS 8 (Family Sharing) came out. They confirmed when they said they had been doing so since the release of the iPhone 3G in 2008.

I understand. I added my comments so that folks would understand that the limitation was historical.

ahighers - If the device does not appear at all, you need to check the actual handset to see if Find my iPhone is enabled and the phone is still tied to the same iCloud account. If it appears that it is, turn Find my iPhone off on the device, restart it, then turn it back on (again being sure to use the same iCloud account, or set up Family Sharing if you're iOS 8 or newer all around).

Find iPhone app is not picking up all devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.