Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhoto issues

Hello, I have a two part iPhoto problem.

1. I imported an old iPhoto Library, from my last Macbook, and now all of the photos I had in my new Macbook's iPhoto are missing. Where can I recover these?

2. When I imported the old iPhoto Library, about half of those photos show up correctly and the other half only show as thumbnails, but the full image will not load. I tried the "repair database" feature, but that did not change anything.

MacBook Air (13-inch, Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 3:53 PM

5 replies

Apr 28, 2016 4:13 PM in response to Samantha797

1. I imported an old iPhoto Library, from my last Macbook, and now all of the photos I had in my new Macbook's iPhoto are missing. Where can I recover these?

What exactly did you do? Get a warning about something overwriting something else? How many Libraries in your Pictures Folder?

2. When I imported the old iPhoto Library, about half of those photos show up correctly and the other half only show as thumbnails, but the full image will not load. I tried the "repair database" feature, but that did not change anything.

What do you see? A black screen? A question mark? exclamation point?

What version of iPhoto?

Apr 28, 2016 4:20 PM in response to Samantha797

1 - no idea - what exactly did you do? What do you have (software and version numbers)? What exact error messages are you receiving?

You should never import a library - it does not work and creates a massive mess

You open libraries - from your very brief description I'm guessing that you overwrote your new MB's iPhoto library with the old one so all you have is the old one - do you have a backup of the new MB iPhoto library from before you did this?

Another possible guess (although nothing you said indicates this) is that you have two or more libraries - to see hold down the option key while launching iPhoto and see what the select library window shows - if there are multiple libraries there open each to see what you have

2 - back to #1 - we need to know what you have and what you did in detail to help

LN

Apr 28, 2016 6:11 PM in response to LarryHN

Thanks for the reply. I solved problem one. When you go to import a new library it says "would you like to switch libraries?" - but then my original disappeared. I found after some deeper searching.

Now #2 - I see a blackish screen with a triangle that has an exclamation point inside it. I'm using version 9.6. The thumbnail appears, but the photo will not come up.

iPhoto issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.