Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Instant messenger within apple network

Is there any instant messenger software for Apple Networks? I have several apple computers in my network, is there an application (besides iMessage) that supports instant messaging within a network? Thanks!

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 4:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 12:44 PM

hi,

To be clear the app is called Messages.

it comes with two Accounts - the iMessages one that needs your to Add an Apple ID and the Bonjour one that just needs everyone to also be using Bonjour.

Bonjour accounts are also in iChat app in older versions of the OS.

@mac.com, @me.com linked to iCloud and @icloud.com IDs are also valid AIM Screen Names

You add these in full as an AIM/AOL option

Messages can also login in to a Jabber Server.

Google Email IDs will work with GoogleTalk the Jabber server they run.

Yahoo IDs can also be used (if everyone has one).

The drawback with this in Messages is that it is text only chats and has no File Sending or Video and Audio Chats.

Psi is a Jabber app if you did not want to use Messages.

Yahoo for Mac does not work in versions of the Mac OS in Yosemite (OS X 10.10) or higher.

AdiumX can join lots of services.

If you have Office you have MSN

Facebook used to run a Jabber server but no longer do so but do still have an access page to Messaging (in most cases that is a separate tab in a browser).

There is also Trillian.

This started out like AdiumX (Mac Only) as a multi-service client on Windows but more recently there have been Mac and Linux as well.

However the page no longer seem to make that clear although Searches suggest it does.

NOTES

AdiumX does Bonjour.

I have not tested this to see if it will do Group Chats (the iChat and Messages versions do not)

For the Adventurous https://github.com/yakyak/yakyak

User uploaded file

8:36 pm Friday; April 29, 2016

 iMac 2.5Ghz i5 2011 (El Capitan)
 G4/1GhzDual MDD (Leopard 10.5.8)
 MacBookPro 2Gb (Snow Leopard 10.6.8)
 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 12:44 PM in response to Jainore

hi,

To be clear the app is called Messages.

it comes with two Accounts - the iMessages one that needs your to Add an Apple ID and the Bonjour one that just needs everyone to also be using Bonjour.

Bonjour accounts are also in iChat app in older versions of the OS.

@mac.com, @me.com linked to iCloud and @icloud.com IDs are also valid AIM Screen Names

You add these in full as an AIM/AOL option

Messages can also login in to a Jabber Server.

Google Email IDs will work with GoogleTalk the Jabber server they run.

Yahoo IDs can also be used (if everyone has one).

The drawback with this in Messages is that it is text only chats and has no File Sending or Video and Audio Chats.

Psi is a Jabber app if you did not want to use Messages.

Yahoo for Mac does not work in versions of the Mac OS in Yosemite (OS X 10.10) or higher.

AdiumX can join lots of services.

If you have Office you have MSN

Facebook used to run a Jabber server but no longer do so but do still have an access page to Messaging (in most cases that is a separate tab in a browser).

There is also Trillian.

This started out like AdiumX (Mac Only) as a multi-service client on Windows but more recently there have been Mac and Linux as well.

However the page no longer seem to make that clear although Searches suggest it does.

NOTES

AdiumX does Bonjour.

I have not tested this to see if it will do Group Chats (the iChat and Messages versions do not)

For the Adventurous https://github.com/yakyak/yakyak

User uploaded file

8:36 pm Friday; April 29, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Apr 29, 2016 12:49 PM in response to Jainore

User uploaded file for the User uploaded file Points.

Also Paltalk

Some of these I thought had died it has been so long since I looked them up.

YakYak seems to have dropped being a multi-service client like the others and concentrated on Google

User uploaded file

8:49 pm Friday; April 29, 2016

 Mac OS X (10.6.8),
 iPhone and an iPad (2)

Instant messenger within apple network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.