Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Some keys on Macbook Pro suddenly stopped working

I have a mid 2012 Macbook Pro 15" Retina display.

Today I was doing some work on it (sending some emails and writing a word document) and all of a sudden out of nowhere some of the keys just completely stopped working. They had been working totally fine for the hours I had been doing my work leading up to this, it just happened out of nowhere.

The keys that have stopped working are the following five: F12, ~, =, {, }

I have read the Apple troubleshooting page on what to do if keys are not working, but this has not helped. I have also reset my SMC, and reset the NVRAM.

When I connect my external usb keyboard the keys work perfectly fine on that (it's how I wrote above which keys aren't working), it's just the internal keyboard which seems to not be working... I just upgraded and did a fresh install of OS X El Capitan a few weeks ago as well, so originally I thought maybe it was a bug with that, but I haven't really had any issues with it until now and non of my troubleshooting has made it work either, so I'm starting to think it's a hardware issue.

Unfortunately I don't have AppleCare or any sort of warranty, I'm going through school and really can't afford to spend much to repair this. If anyone has any ideas of things I can try to make it work again that would be very appreciated!

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 4:10 PM

2 replies

Apr 29, 2016 5:23 AM in response to U12

It could be as simple as the ribbon cable having come loose and that will be a very inexpensive repair - maybe even free. It might be the keyboard itself is damaged and that would not be inexpensive. But since this is sometimes the first symptom of an expanding battery - which is very serious and dangerous - I recommend you take the computer to an Apple store or service center to be looked at. This should be a totally free service.

Some keys on Macbook Pro suddenly stopped working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.