Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme does not give option to join network

I am trying to set up a repurposed airport extreme in bridge mode. Previously I have always been able to use the "join network" option but now it is only giving me the option to create, extend, or off. I have a model a1521 (6th gen) that I have as my main router. I also have an older airport express that I have in bridge mode. I am trying to add the a1143 (3rd Gen) to the network and just put it in bridge mode. Purpose is to use it as a wireless print server until I can move my printer and 6th gen to the same location. Was this option removed? am I just missing something?

User uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 4:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 4:29 PM

Apple removed the "Join" option for the AirPort Extreme (and Time Capsule) when the 6.x version of AirPort Utility was introduced with Lion (10.7.3) about 3 years ago.

If you have....or can borrow for 15-20 minutes.....an older Mac running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x), or a PC with AirPort Utility for Windows installed on the device......you might be able to manually configure the older A1143 AirPort Extreme to "join" the network using a 5.x version of AirPort Utility.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 4:29 PM in response to YoJr

Apple removed the "Join" option for the AirPort Extreme (and Time Capsule) when the 6.x version of AirPort Utility was introduced with Lion (10.7.3) about 3 years ago.

If you have....or can borrow for 15-20 minutes.....an older Mac running the Leopard (10.5.x) or Snow Leopard (10.6.x), or a PC with AirPort Utility for Windows installed on the device......you might be able to manually configure the older A1143 AirPort Extreme to "join" the network using a 5.x version of AirPort Utility.

Apr 28, 2016 4:21 PM in response to Bob Timmons

That is really annoying. This limits their routers by a lot. Is there an advanced way of doing it through CLI in the router? Been awhile since I have ever gone that route but I do know the older ones you could ssh into them and do more advanced configuration. You just had to know what you were looking for.

Airport Extreme does not give option to join network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.