Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.3.1 text message problems

updated an iPhone 5 to iOS 9.3.1 today and since then iMessage works but text message reports failed to send over and over with retry after retry. Then found that the text messages are going through just reporting failure, but also the phone is not receiving any text messages. How can this be fixed?

iPhone 5, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 4:33 PM

10 replies

Apr 28, 2016 4:36 PM in response to Kipchoge513

Kipchoge513 wrote:

updated an iPhone 5 to iOS 9.3.1 today and since then iMessage works but text message reports failed to send over and over with retry after retry. Then found that the text messages are going through just reporting failure, but also the phone is not receiving any text messages. How can this be fixed?

Start by contacting your phone carrier as Sms is a carrier feature.

Apr 28, 2016 4:44 PM in response to Kipchoge513

Kipchoge513 wrote:

I was texting this morning, then iOS update, then text doesn't work. You think the carrier has something to do with that? Guess I could try... But seems illogical

Illogical or not, SMS/text message is still a carrier feature, please contact them and then report back.

If you can't send or receive messages on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support you can also look at this link.

Apr 29, 2016 8:39 AM in response to ddulson

ddulson wrote:

I am having the same issue on an iPhone 5s I have updated to 9.3.1. Some texts seem to work some don't. I have no idea what goes through or if I am receiving everything. I have tried all the suggested fixes but still having SMS issues. IMessage seems fine

So what did you phone carrier say about the issue?
Since repeating again SMS is a carrier feature, not an Apple or iphone feature.

Apr 29, 2016 10:16 AM in response to razmee209

I did not speak to the phone carrier!.....I am pretty sure this was a software issue from Apple. I restored the phone to factory conditions, installed a fresh version of the 9.3.1 software downloaded on iTunes and then backed up a previous sync of the phone to get it back to its original state. Text messaging now seems to be functioning as normal.

iOS 9.3.1 text message problems

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.