Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I combine iMovie libraries/media from different computers/versions/drives?

I removed the HDD from my 13" Al MacBook (late '08) running OSX 10.6 and iMovie 8. I replaced it with an SSD and installed OSX 10.11 and iMovie 10. I also have a Mac Pro tower, currently running OSX 10.9 and iMovie 10.

I would like to combine (or at least move) the libraries from my old MB HDD (now in an external USB case) and MacPro onto my current MB system.

I've seen some tutorials online, but I get quickly thrown off, as I'm not seeing what's referenced. For example, the external drive doesn't show up in iMovie, and I don't see an "Event Library" (there's an "iMovie Library" and "All Events"). I admit, iMovie has never been intuitive to me. Hopefully I'm just overlooking something simple

Thanks for holding my hand. I appreciate any help. On a side note, El Cap + SSD + 8MB Ram has breathed new life into my trusty old MacBook. 🙂

James

MacBook (13-inch Aluminum Late 2008), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 4:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 11:40 AM

To be recognised by iMovie 10, your iMovie 8 projects and events folders have to be at the root level of your external drive. They are probably in the user / Movies folder since this is the default location in a start-up drive. If you move them to the root level (i.e. within no enclosing folder) they should be recognised by iMovie 10 and when launched it should offer to update them.

Geoff.

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 11:40 AM in response to James V

To be recognised by iMovie 10, your iMovie 8 projects and events folders have to be at the root level of your external drive. They are probably in the user / Movies folder since this is the default location in a start-up drive. If you move them to the root level (i.e. within no enclosing folder) they should be recognised by iMovie 10 and when launched it should offer to update them.

Geoff.

May 4, 2016 11:58 AM in response to Jim Wanamaker

Jim Wanamaker wrote:

Launch iMovie and in the file menu select open library. In the submenu select your Library 2

Thanks, Jim.

That works to open the Library 2 that is on the external drive. Now, how to I move/merge that library to my MacBook? Basically, my goal is to consolidate my iMovie libraries (currently on an external HDD and a MacPro) to my MacBook.

Thanks,

James

May 5, 2016 2:15 PM in response to GeeD

GeeD wrote:

To move or copy events and projects between libraries see: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov3fa25bae7

Thanks, Gee! That was helpful.

I'm finding out that the different versions of iMovie don't play nice together - even from 10.1.1 to 10.1.2. So I ended up upgrading all my versions to 10.1.2. Anyway, here's where I'm at now...

I successfully imported the iMovie Library from my external HDD;

• these Events ("5-5-16," "5-5-16 1," "Mogfest 2010") now show up in my MacBook iMovie "Library" roll-down list
  • these events also appear in "All Events"

I successfully imported the iMovie Library from my Mac Pro, however they are organized differently

• these events ("MCV," "Anza B...SHORT," "Anza B... 2015," "Fuji Cross...1") DO NOT show up in the roll-down list under "iMovie Library"
  • these events do not show up in "All Events"
  • these events do show up in the window to the right of the Libraries column

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

All projects from the imported libraries appear in the "Projects" tab.

Why is there a discrepancy in the events I'm seeing? Is there a way to resolve this? For the record, the iMovie structure has never been intuitive to me. 😊

Thanks,

James

May 5, 2016 5:30 PM in response to James V

Weird. Do the events from the Mac Pro show all the clips? Do the projects from the Mac Pro work OK?

You say "I successfully imported the iMovie Library from my Mac Pro" but how exactly did you do this? Importing usually refers to bringing individual clips and photos into iMovie.

Geoff.

May 5, 2016 5:30 PM in response to GeeD

GeeD wrote:

You say "I successfully imported the iMovie Library from my Mac Pro" but how exactly did you do this? Importing usually refers to bringing individual clips and photos into iMovie.

Thanks, Gee. Your reply pointed out what I did wrong. (I'll reiterate my ineptitude when it comes to the iMovie file structure)

After importing the "Library," from the MacPro, I then copied the "Projects" to the Macbook iMovie Library, but failed to then copy the "Events" over. (I had forgotten I had done that for the exterand HDD library). So after doing that, it now appears that all media is within the MacBook's iMovie library and everything is visible/working.

So, basically, I copied over the media to my MacBook library in two steps (using the instructions that you linked to):

1. copied over the "Projects"
  2. copied over the "Events"

Did I get everything? The library should be complete now, correct? It appears to that all the "Clips" are there within their corresponding events.

Thanks, all, for the help. You are the best.

James

May 6, 2016 2:09 AM in response to James V

I'm glad its all OK now.

(I still don't fully understand what you did. I would have either copied over the entire Mac Pro library to your new machine with the Finder. I would have then opened this library from within iMovie so both this and the internal library showed under 'LIBRARIES'. From there I would have copied projects and events from the Mac Pro library to the internal one. Note that you don't have to have everything in a single library.)

Geoff.

May 6, 2016 10:02 AM in response to GeeD

GeeD wrote:

I would have either copied over the entire Mac Pro library to your new machine with the Finder. I would have then opened this library from within iMovie so both this and the internal library showed under 'LIBRARIES'. From there I would have copied projects and events from the Mac Pro library to the internal one. Note that you don't have to have everything in a single library.)

Sorry for the confusion. The above is exactly what I did. That is, I first copied the library file, then opened it and copied over the projects and events from it. It sounds so simple when described this way. I just didn't quite get what needed to be done, and there were some issues with version compatibility along the way that required project and/or app updates. I much prefer finder level structure and don't like dealing with hidden files and app-specific/required file structure. Not to mention the confusion of events, clips, media, projects, libraries, etc. (come to think of it... there's no such thing as a "movie" in iMovie, is there?!) I'm sure there is good reason for all of this, but it's just not how my feeble brain works. 😕

Thanks again for all the help. Cheers!

How do I combine iMovie libraries/media from different computers/versions/drives?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.