Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro disconnects from internet randomly

Hi friends,

I have a Macbook Pro Retina (11,3 late 2013) that is giving me a headache with wifi connection at home.

In my studio, where I have another internet provider, it works Ok, but in my house is disconnecting randomly.

I have an apple TV, two ipads, an iphone, and another macbook, all working fine with no internet issues.

I have double checked the TCP/IP and DNS fields to be exactly as the other macbook that is working fine. The only number that differs is the last one of the IPv4, which I guess is fine because it indicates the different device IP. This number changes everytime I get connected, depending on the others devices connection as well. Every time I have tried the assistant configurator I get proper connection for some minutes, and then the internet goes away again.

So, What can be causing this issue? Why I have solid connection at my studio and not at home? Why the other macbook is fine if I have the same TCP/IP and DNS values? I have called the internet provider and they told me that they work with dynamic IP and DNS so it's fine to leave them "automatic", which is what I'm using.

Any help appreciated.

Pablo

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.3)

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 6:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 1, 2016 3:53 PM

6:07 PM

Please perform the following actions and after each one test to see if the problem is resolved - if so then you can omit the following steps - I have tried to list them in order of increasing effort at least on a Mac and / or an iDevice

1. Check to see if the problem is isolated to one device and if other devices connect normally -
  2. If the answer to 1 is "yes" - try to connect the affected device in another location if possible - café or university
  3. Settings - WiFi - <network name> - Click on forget the network - do a forced restart as per 3 and then add the network again
  4. If at home - reboot the router by unplugging for 60 seconds from the AC (mains) and then plug it back in - obviously this step cannot be done in a public place as a café/airport or university. While you are at it - make sure your router is operating on the latest firmware (check manufacturer site)
  5. Hold the pointer on the WiFi icon - click Option and then press the icon - run the WiFi diagnostic
  6. If no problem identified - leave it running in the background and see if it detects something
  7. While you are at it - make a snapshot of the material in gray and post it after removing personal information
  8. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 1, 2016 3:53 PM in response to Chantus

6:07 PM

Please perform the following actions and after each one test to see if the problem is resolved - if so then you can omit the following steps - I have tried to list them in order of increasing effort at least on a Mac and / or an iDevice

1. Check to see if the problem is isolated to one device and if other devices connect normally -
  2. If the answer to 1 is "yes" - try to connect the affected device in another location if possible - café or university
  3. Settings - WiFi - <network name> - Click on forget the network - do a forced restart as per 3 and then add the network again
  4. If at home - reboot the router by unplugging for 60 seconds from the AC (mains) and then plug it back in - obviously this step cannot be done in a public place as a café/airport or university. While you are at it - make sure your router is operating on the latest firmware (check manufacturer site)
  5. Hold the pointer on the WiFi icon - click Option and then press the icon - run the WiFi diagnostic
  6. If no problem identified - leave it running in the background and see if it detects something
  7. While you are at it - make a snapshot of the material in gray and post it after removing personal information
  8. Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

Apr 28, 2016 8:32 PM in response to Chantus

Please see Apple's recommended settings for Wi-Fi routers and access points.

Notwithstanding those recommendations, some routers work better with late-model Macs if you disable the 2.4 GHz radio mode in the settings and use only the 5 GHz mode. Note, however, that very old Apple devices and some third-party devices may then not connect at all.

Some third-party routers have advanced settings that you may need to change:

The encryption algorithm should be AES.

The group-key interval should be 3200.

Macbook Pro disconnects from internet randomly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.