Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bridge 2 Base Stations

I have a new AirPort Extreme 802.11n, an old "Snow" AirPort Extreme 802.11g, a few Macs, and a PC. The new AirPort Extreme is upstairs connected by ethernet to a Mac mini. The PC downstairs has no Wi-Fi, and it is not convenient to run 40 feet of ethernet cable to it's location. i have the old AirPort Extreme connected by ethernet to the PC and it appears in the Windows AirPort Utility. I want to configure the old AirPort Extreme to bridge to the new AirPort Extreme, and I want to connect the PC to the old AirPort Extreme. What do I choose in the AirPort Utility to make this happen?

AirPort Extreme-OTHER, Windows 10

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 7:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 8:48 AM

Unfortunately, the new AirPort Extreme and old AirPort Extreme are simply not compatible with each other for your desired setup using a wireless connection between the AirPorts.

Run an Ethernet cable from the new AirPort to the PC. If that is not possible, a pair of Ethernet over Powerline (EOP) adapters might be able to send an Ethernet signal over the existing AC powerlines in your home.

If the connection between AirPorts must be over wireless, retire the old AirPort Extreme, and add a new AirPort Express and configure the Express to "extend a wireless network". The Ethernet ports are enabled when you do this, so you can connect the PC to either one of the ports on the Express using a short Ethernet cable.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 8:48 AM in response to Moof666

Unfortunately, the new AirPort Extreme and old AirPort Extreme are simply not compatible with each other for your desired setup using a wireless connection between the AirPorts.

Run an Ethernet cable from the new AirPort to the PC. If that is not possible, a pair of Ethernet over Powerline (EOP) adapters might be able to send an Ethernet signal over the existing AC powerlines in your home.

If the connection between AirPorts must be over wireless, retire the old AirPort Extreme, and add a new AirPort Express and configure the Express to "extend a wireless network". The Ethernet ports are enabled when you do this, so you can connect the PC to either one of the ports on the Express using a short Ethernet cable.

Apr 30, 2016 3:37 PM in response to Bob Timmons

They both can broadcast and receive 802.11G, so how are they not compatible? Your suggestion of connecting the two routers by ethernet cable is silly. If I could accept the ridiculous arrangement of a 40 foot cable across the walls and ceiling, I would not have asked this question. One of the main attractions of Wi-Fi is eliminating a web of ugly cable all around the home.

Apr 30, 2016 9:14 PM in response to Moof666

so how are they not compatible?

The older AirPort Extreme used a setting known as WDS to wirelessly extend a signal to another Apple router. Apple dropped WDS entirely about 4 years ago in the newer version of the AirPort Extreme. The two products that you have cannot do what you want to do using a wireless connection. Sorry, but that is a fact.

If I could accept the ridiculous arrangement of a 40 foot cable across the walls and ceiling, I would not have asked this question.

Please read my answer again. You must have missed the part about using EOP products.

Bridge 2 Base Stations

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.