Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

loud beeping noise and warning

I was on my Macbook Pro, looking at some items at Dillard's and Saks Fifth Avenue. All of a sudden, there was a loud beeping noise and this message:

Dear Customer,

A serious malfunction has been detected with OS X 10.11 and

firefox 45.0. Please call the toll-free number below for a Apple MacIntosh technician to help you resolve the issue.

877-920-7284.

For your safety, closing the Firefox browser has been disabled without support of the Apple Macintosh Technician to avoid corruption to the registry of your OSX 10.11 operating system.

DO NOT SHUT DOWN OR RESTART THE COMPUTER, DOING THAT MAY LEAD TO DATA LOSS AND POSSIBLE FAILURE OF THE OPERATING SYSTEM AND POTENTIAL NON BOOTABLE SITUATION RESULTING IN COMPLETE DATA LOSS. CONTACT MICROSOFT CERTIFIED TECHNICIANS TO RESOLVE THE ISSUE CALLING TOLL-FREE 877-920-7284.

Is there validity to this statement. When I call the number, I just get a message that there are no agents available, call back in one minute, but I have never been able to get to speak to anyone..

MacBook Pro with Retina display, 10.11 El Capitan OSX

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 9:45 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 9:53 PM

Somebody is trying to scare you into buying something that won't help and likely really will harm your computer if you let them "help". Ignore the warning.

What would Microsoft technicians have anything to do with a Mac? It is phishing.

I am not familiar with Macs having any registry which is a terms I only hear with reference to PCs. It is somebody talking computer gibberish that makes no sense.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 28, 2016 9:53 PM in response to maggielou

Somebody is trying to scare you into buying something that won't help and likely really will harm your computer if you let them "help". Ignore the warning.

What would Microsoft technicians have anything to do with a Mac? It is phishing.

I am not familiar with Macs having any registry which is a terms I only hear with reference to PCs. It is somebody talking computer gibberish that makes no sense.

Apr 28, 2016 9:53 PM in response to maggielou

I see those a few times a year. Just close the page. The biggest mistake you made was phoning a number which means you might now be on their "potential customer" call list and will get bugged by people with Indian accents calling about how your Windows computer is causing problems on the Internet (another scam for which they will charge you $200 to "fix" after you give them the password to your computer).

Apr 29, 2016 7:26 AM in response to maggielou

Yeah, the obnoxious, loud beep puts you into a panic mode where they hope for an impulsive response. When you read their document you see they have no real information about what is happening computer (they get some basic information such as OS version and browser provided by your web browser to all web sites) and most of what they say makes no sense. They just try to scare the people who know nothing about computers into paying for services which might really put their computers at risk.

loud beeping noise and warning

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.