Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cannot remove my device from my account in iTunes

Hello,

I got an corporate iPhone that I used for a while, when I had some troubles with battery life I had to change it.

I signed off and gave iPhone back to my company and got another one, restored it from back up.

When starting using my Music I see "you must transfer this device to your apple id to play content saved offline...". I understood that I need to delete my previous iPhone from iTunes account as described in

View and remove associated devices in iTunes - Apple Support

but the problem that "remove" button is grayed out.

The fact is that I do not have my previous iPhone anymore so I do not think I would be able to "Sign out of the iTunes Store on that device, then try to remove it." as said in the article.

Is there anything I can do to remove device and start using new one with my account?

Kind Regards,

Kirill

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 10:21 PM

13 replies

Apr 30, 2016 8:31 AM in response to kirill_g

That message is indicating that the Apple ID currently associated with the device is not the same Apple ID that you are using for Apple Music, and that you have signed in to iTunes. When an Apple ID is signed into a device, and any of the functions you saw listed on the Associated Devices article are performed, that device becomes associated with that Apple ID. When that ID is signed off, and you sign on a different Apple ID, the new Apple ID cannot perform any of the functions on that list (which includes using iCloud Music Library) for 90 days.

Did you have a different Apple ID signed in to the iTunes & App Store, and did you perform any of those functions prior to signing in your current Apple ID? Is it possible that the device was used by someone else prior to it being given to you that would have met those criteria?

Cheers,

GB

May 1, 2016 9:19 AM in response to kirill_g

Hi Kirill,

So, the colleague who used the phone prior to your getting it was either using Apple Music or iTunes Match, using Automatic Downloads, or using Family Sharing while they had the device. Any of those services associates the device to the Apple ID that is signed onto the device. That means that even if they had removed the device from their "associated devices" you would still not be able to use any of those services under your Apple ID for 90 days.

Associated Device

Unfortunately, you have to wait for the 90 days to expire. You can always sync music in the mean time from your iTunes library.

Best of luck,

GB

cannot remove my device from my account in iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.