Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can somebody help me fix the horizontal lines on my iPhone 6?

With all honesty, I didn't do anything to my iphone that I knew could have a detrimental impact on it. I was just using it as I usually do, browsing through the net, and checked a text message. And then afterwards, I connected it to my MBP to charge the battery. It was at around 50% when I left it at a table beside me to charge. After an hour perhaps, I checked it and found pink horizontal lines mostly visible on a white background, or on a white image. The lines were static but they don't seem to be visible on other colors on the screen, only obvious on a white background/image. They also seem to outline some details on the phone (outlining the numbers on the clock). I tried restarting the phone, holding the home and lock button, and then restoring to factory settings and they are still there. I wonder if it is a hardware issue (which I hope not, because my warranty is already expired).

I don't know if it's a relevant information but, the temperature at my place is relatively high at the moment and I was thinking that perhaps the hot weather could play a factor on it. I've noticed that my phone was quite hot at that moment. I tried turning it off for a few minutes (to cool down the phone) and when I turned it on, less lines were visible. They seem to form a vertical line, but they are still horizontal if you look closely. And they are color pink. Eh.

I don't know if it counts for something but here are some of the details of my phone:

-iPhone 6 (16GB) bought Nov 2014

-latest iOS is installed

I'm so sorry if some of the details I gave you are vague and insignificant. I'm not a techie person but I hope somebody could help me. If you would need a screenshot of my phone, I would provide one then.

Thank you very much in advance!

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 10:02 PM

7 replies

Apr 28, 2016 11:00 PM in response to Vorfreude

If you can, visit an Apple Authorized Service Provider or Apple Store next your place and let them have a look at your phone. They can tell you about your service options.

Your can also contact Apple Support to send it in for service.

Find an Apple Authorized Service Provider

iPhone - Contact Support - Apple Support

To make sure that this is not software related, set it back to factory settings without using the backup and test the screen after that. If the lines are still there, the problem is hardware related.

Use iTunes to restore your iOS device to factory settings - Apple Support

Apr 29, 2016 3:18 AM in response to Vorfreude

UPDATE: So retrieving the factory settings was finally done but when my phone actually restarted, it was worse than before. So I reset the factory settings, but when the iphone was already restarting, the screen was worse than before. The apple logo was blinking, and there were prominent yellow vertical lines as well. When it finally opened, the vertical pink lines were back. So I guess it's a hardware problem? I wonder what could have caused it because I believe I didn't drop it or anything. I guess I have no choice but to consult an apple store. 😟

Thanks again to Ingo2711 for the help, it was much appreciated.

Apr 29, 2016 7:12 AM in response to Vorfreude

There is a chance that one of the connectors for the various cables that come off of the digitizer (LCD and glass screen, or front of the phone) had been jarred loose when the phone was dropped at one point and it may have been more recently "bumped" just hard enough to where it's now showing up in the display.

If you take it to a repair center (as opposed to an Apple Store), they may be able to check the connections and ensure they are all snapped in tightly. They would still charge you for this, I'm sure, but if it works it would be less than ALSO paying to replace a component. The entire process should take them about 15 minutes to do (open phone, remove protective cover over cables, unseat all connectors, reseat all connectors, test, reinstall protective cover, close up phone).

It's probably worth keeping in mind that a loose cable COULD show up in a diagnostic test as a failed / failing display since the system board will not be communicating properly with the display. So, if diag shows a failing or failed display or similar, you could ask them if reseating the connectors would be a normal troubleshooting step that they would follow.

Apr 29, 2016 7:57 AM in response to ember1205

It should be noted, that if you let a 3rd party repair shop service the phone, Apple will not service the device after that anymore. Also the Out-of-Warranty service options will be gone.

And i'm sure that Apple techs will check the cables connected to the screen, before they decide, that the existing one has to be replaced.

Can somebody help me fix the horizontal lines on my iPhone 6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.