Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I copy a file from "Downloads" to an external drive? This machine won't let me.

I wan't to copy a file/folder from "Downloads" to an external drive so I can plug it into my PC but this keeps giving me the Circle-Bar symbol and nothing happens.

What is the trick?

MacBook Pro with Retina display

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 1:57 AM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2016 2:09 AM in response to Diamond Jim 61

The ownership and or permissions/privileges on the document or file may need

to be unlocked or changed. There is a way to see the basics of this if you select

the file (click once) to highlight, then use Get Info from Finder menu (command + i)

You may have to see if the item has a padlock or who owns permissions, & change

them on just that file. Since other things may be involved, that I don't know about, it

would be up to you. Depending on the source of the file, and type, there may be a

few other items to consider. Some created files are limited by their author; one such

software may be adobe where a user can secure the document or content of a PDF.

When that happens, your options could be limited.

Also, external drive may be of an incorrect format for use with the Mac, & also window PC.

The lack of details can be create difficulty in communication. At 1:10AM tiredness is, too.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

How do I copy a file from "Downloads" to an external drive? This machine won't let me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.