Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need malware or virus protection?

Hello, I've owned an iPad for a little while and I need to know if I should install an app for virus/malware protection, and maybe get some recommendations on what would be good ones if the situation calls for it. I accidentally installed a sort of weird app - it wasn't showing up when I searched in the App Store itself,but I clicked on a link from Google that lead to the App Store and brought it up on my iPad. There was no record of the app in my downloads list in the App Store once the installation finished, though, so I felt suspicious and deleted it without ever running it. Should I be worried?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me. I'm very new to Apple products.

iPad 2, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 10:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 10:55 PM

There's a big difference between virus and malware.

You do not need any virus protection, as there are none on iOS. For malware protection you just need common sense.

Thus link should provide sufficient guidance:

http://www.thesafemac.com/mmg-defense/

5 replies

Apr 28, 2016 10:33 PM in response to hopethisnamewillwork

If you have issues at any point with pop-ups in Safari coming up, all you have to do is Delete all Website Data under Settings>Safari. Beyond that, using common sense when surfing the web and clicking on links on websites, messages, or emails will protect you.

As long as you have not jailbroken your device, you won't get viruses, and any adware issues you might encounter are resolved by clearing the website data from Safari (after closing the app).

Best of luck,

GB

Do I need malware or virus protection?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.