Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot get wireless network to connect to iBook G3

I am having lots of trouble with trying to join the guest network on my iBook G3 Clamshell. It uses Mac OS X 10.4.11 /Mac OS 9.2.2 and the tech told me how to create a guest network with no encryption password. Every time I've tried connecting to it it tries for about half a minute then gives me an error message:

"There was an error joining the Airport network..."

What does this laptop need in order to connect? What am I doing wrong?

iBook, Mac OS X (10.4.11), iBook G3 - HD: 40 GB Memory: ?

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 11:32 PM

3 replies

May 11, 2016 4:23 PM in response to IcyCool7227

Hi IcyCool7227,

First, make sure your iBook has an AirPort card. To do that, lift up the keyboard and see if it's there. If it doesn't, you need to buy one online and install it. Also, note that you cannot connect from Mac OS 9! You can only do that from Mac OS X 10.4 and later, which you have. That's really all I can tell you now, except to turn off all password protection on the network, but you've already done that. I've never seen this type of problem before. Maybe it's a problem with the age of the iBook.

Hope this helps,

HFTaylor12

May 15, 2016 3:24 PM in response to IcyCool7227

Can you confirm you can access the guest network with a different device (computer, tablet, smartphone) without authentication?

I've often seen this message when trying to connect to a WPA/WPA2 network with an original AirPort card that doesn't support it. But as you are trying to access a guest network, that makes no sense as long as the guest network is configured properly. Have you been able to connect to any other networks with this iBook G3?

Cannot get wireless network to connect to iBook G3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.