Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't stay in browser without re-clicking mouse

Sounds crazy. I'll start typing (like in this message box!) when my cursor disappears. I have to click my mouse again to put the cursor back in the browser (or anything else I'm typing in) in order to continue. So annoying, especially when you're typing a password and it's only showing asterisks and you have to start all over again!! This just happened after the last update. Not sure if it's the latest update or if I need a new mouse. I have the Apple wireless mouse. I'm running OS X El Capitan, Version 10.11.4, iMac Late 2009, with wireless mouse & keyboard. The situation is getting really annoying. I like to delete 5-10 emails at a time holding the command button. I'm having to delete one at a time now because I'll have 10 selected, the cursor disappears, I'll have to reselect them all over again. I'm ready to chuck the whole thing and just use my MacBook Pro but I really love my big iMac monitor!

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Sharon

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 2:16 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2016 1:43 PM

Hi sharon289,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your iMac; it certainly is unusual. To help narrow down the possible causes of this cursor/clicking issue, you may want to try booting up in Safe Mode (a more limited startup mode that only loads core services). You may also want to try testing in a new test user account and see if the issue persists there as well. You may find the information and steps outlined in the following articles helpful:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Note: Safe Mode isn't limited to troubleshooting startup issue, despite the framing of the above article.

Regards

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2016 1:43 PM in response to sharon289

Hi sharon289,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I'm sorry to hear that you are having this issue with your iMac; it certainly is unusual. To help narrow down the possible causes of this cursor/clicking issue, you may want to try booting up in Safe Mode (a more limited startup mode that only loads core services). You may also want to try testing in a new test user account and see if the issue persists there as well. You may find the information and steps outlined in the following articles helpful:

Try safe mode if your Mac doesn't finish starting up - Apple Support

How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac - Apple Support

Note: Safe Mode isn't limited to troubleshooting startup issue, despite the framing of the above article.

Regards

May 3, 2016 1:46 PM in response to brenden dv

I would love to say that this absolutely worked. But...as fast as it started, it stopped. I didn't do anything to my computer. Didn't change a thing. I'm absolutely convinced that it is poltergeists living in my iMac but don't think I could get anyone to believe me. Suffice to say, the problem has been resolved and it's as if it never happened. Words of wisdom: Never try to argue with an inanimate object that is smarter than you are. You will lose every time. 🙂

Can't stay in browser without re-clicking mouse

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.