Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My problem with transferring photos from Iphone to PC

Good evening ladies and gents,

Here's the situation:

In the past- I plug in my phone, I've already unlocked it, clicked trust this computer. A menu pops up, I choose to open in folders, click open in folders, folder shows DCIM folder, then inside there are various folders that contain my photos and videos. GREAT! I can move the photos however I like to my computer and delete ones I don't need, love it, works almost like a USB.

Today- I plug in my phone, do the same process, I can open the folder that shows the DCIM folder, click on the DCIM folder, and there are only two folders (100Apple and 101Apple).. what happened to the rest? I know that I don't only have 97 photos on my phone (which are in the folders).. i have like 1,900 photos on my phone, which is why i really really need to move them OFF my phone. I don't like doing backups and auto moves and things like that because I like sorting out my pictures myself and organizing them.

** I've moved the photos over from those two folders GREAT! but now when i try to delete the photos in those folders, it says I don't have permission to... ughhhh Apple please fix.

What should I do? I haven't done the next iOs update yet because I really don't think I need the update + it takes up more storage room.

Also, when I open the computer, it shows my phone as only 3 GB free left of 14.5 GB, so I KNOW there are pictures taking up that storage so why isn't it showing up.

Also Also, I heard from somewhere a while back that some guy sued apple for getting a 16GB phone but only really having 13GB because the updates and phone takes up like 3 GB of space. I have that problem too... is it possible to get that extra 3 GBs of storage?? Cus it sort of makes me feel ripped off from Apple. Thank you!

iPhone 5c, iOS 9.3, null

Posted on Apr 28, 2016 11:49 PM

12 replies

Apr 29, 2016 12:34 AM in response to xxioiioixx

You should use the more convenient way to transfer your photos, which will also allow you to delete the photos after you imported them to your computer, described in this article: Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

As with every other computer, the advertised size of the HD differs from the usable size, because of the way that space is calculated and the fact, that the iOS also needs some space on the hard drive. Every other phone has the same "issue", check this article

Capacity stated on product packaging

Storage device manufacturers measure capacity using the decimal system (base 10), so 1 gigabyte (GB) is calculated as exactly 1,000,000,000 bytes. The capacity of the storage media in your Mac, iPad, iPod, iPhone and other Apple hardware is measured using this decimal system. This is detailed on product packaging and online through the statement "1 GB = 1 billion bytes."

Understanding storage capacity in iPad, iPhone, iPod

When you view the storage capacity of your iPod, iPhone, iPad, or other electronic devices within its operating system, the capacity is reported using the the binary system (base 2) of measurement. In binary, 1 GB is calculated as 1,073,741,824 bytes.

For example: The way decimal and binary numeral systems measure a GB is what causes a 32 GB storage device to appear as approximately 28 GB when detailed by its operating system, even though the storage device still has 32 billion bytes (not 28 billion bytes), as reported.

You can see this difference if you look at how your computer summarizes the capacity of your iPod, iPad, or iPhone’s storage when the device is connected to your computer. You will also see this difference in the About menu on your iPod, iPad, or iPhone. The important point to understand is that the available storage capacity is the same no matter which system (decimal or binary) is used. Nothing is missing.

copied from: How OS X and iOS report storage capacity - Apple Support

Apr 29, 2016 12:49 AM in response to Ingo2711

There is a more convenient way to transfer photos, yes I know. But I prefer to do it manually instead of randomly always importing photos over and over, taking up more storage on my laptop. And that answer didn't give a solution to the problem I stated in my original submission.

Thank you for telling me how the GB is counted in the link you added. However, reading this sounds to me that the proper way of calculating bytes is through the binary system, which is how the device configures it to be. So how come Apple does not advertise the amount of GB (16) by calculating with the 1 GB = 1,073,741,824 bytes? Sounds to me that apple is using the decimal way of calculating bytes to make their products look to store more GB than they actually do in GB based off the binary system.

Apr 29, 2016 9:43 AM in response to xxioiioixx

... ughhhh Apple please fix.

There's nothing for Apple to fix. You have to take the time to learn how the system works.

You might want to download this free user guide and brows thru it: https://itun.es/us/gVOT9.l

Also Also, I heard from somewhere a while back that some guy sued apple for getting a 16GB phone but only really having 13GB because the updates and phone takes up like 3 GB of space. I have that problem too... is it possible to get that extra 3 GBs of storage?? Cus it sort of makes me feel ripped off from Apple. Thank you!

The operating system and the built in apps do take storage space. Unfortunately, it costs Apple and other companies real money to fight these frivolouse suits and we all end up paying the costs.

<Edited by Host>

Apr 29, 2016 1:00 AM in response to Rysz

I apologize for saying "ugghhhh Apple please fix". I'm just frustrated with the way that apple products all tend towards downloading itunes and working better with other apple products because they are all synchronized. It makes me feel like I have to purchase a Macbook in order to work the iphone well.

I personally feel that by you commenting against that phrase was aggressive, I didn't mean it the way you took it. Again, I apologize, but please understand that I came to this forum for help, not for someone to direct me to a guide book that must have steps on how to auto move pictures from phone to PC.

In addition, I do not understand why this would be a "frivolous suit". Never does it say in these articles that Apple took the time to explain why they choose to advertise and calculate GB one way, and calculate GB in the storage another way. I don't think it's right because it misleads consumers. Even though it takes time, I would like there to be a reasonable answer that the public can understand, accept, and move on with.

Apr 29, 2016 1:25 AM in response to Ingo2711

I've seen that discussion and it didn't mention anything that could help me in this situation either, which is why I started a new question.

I tried: Perform a search for .jpg in the top right of windows explorer, then sort by date (modified date). Right click the photo and "Open File Location"

and it still showed me the 97 pictures that I can only see.

My problem with transferring photos from Iphone to PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.