Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi instability for ipad and iphone 6..... frequent login issues

I have been facing this issue for the longest time now. I use a wifi modem at my home and i have to login again and again. Some times I need to turn off and turn on the modem so frequently in a single day to get the wifi. I have also changed my wifi password but that does not work on my iphone 6 and ipad mini 4, after getting disconnected I need to put the same old password for re-login.

This is a serious issue as it poses a great threat to the confidentiality of the system and files.

Lot of disconnections in a single day. Its really disappointing and disgusting to experience such kind of performance issues after having spent a lac on Apple devices.

Please try to solve the issues ASAP.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 1:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 6:49 AM

Below are some general suggestions for Wi-Fi issues, maybe one of them will help.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 6:49 AM in response to mohammad56

Below are some general suggestions for Wi-Fi issues, maybe one of them will help.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

May 18, 2016 4:50 AM in response to elcpu

Thanks for the suggestions!🙂

Well I have practiced the first 2 solution points and got the temp solutions but here I am looking for a permanent fix, the other suggestions are way too technical for me to understand as I am not a tech savvy, hence I would like you to throw some deep light and may be elaborate on the 3rd and 4th point as to what exactly a DNS setting is and how far it can help on boosting the wifi connectivity on IOS devices.

Also kindly explain how exactly do we change the bands and bandwidth as in where exactly in the system.

May 18, 2016 6:28 AM in response to mohammad56

Mohammad, after reading your two posts, particularly the second one, I suspect that your modem is the issue. If you have to restart it everyday several times I would get a new one as the phone may not be the problem. I can help you with the other steps if you like but might be best to try a new modem first.

May 18, 2016 10:30 PM in response to elcpu

If my modem had a technical flaw then my HP laptop would have faced the same issue like my 2 IOS devices but that is not the case as my HP laptop connects well with the wifi and runs without any interruption even while downloading a movie where. So I suppose the prob might be with the IOS devices, but still I will check the website to get the firmware update if at all it is there.

However, I request you to just educate me on the 3rd and 4th point, please, as I want to try all possible methods before concluding that the prob is with my iPad and iPhone.

May 19, 2016 7:17 AM in response to mohammad56

On #3 please log on to the modem/router user interface and check the Wi-Fi settings. Somewhere on the modem/router it has settings for bands, channesl and bandwidth. If you have a single band router, try channels 1, 6 or 11 and bandwidth of 20 MHz only.

On #4 on the iPad go to Settings > Wi-Fi > and click on the network you are connected to. Click on DNS and follow the instructions above. Sometimes switching to a faster DNS service will improve the connection. But I don't think this will be your case as I still suspect a router/phone incompatibility issue. Would be nice to try with a different network.

It it is in warranty you could also take it to a store for evaluation.

Wifi instability for ipad and iphone 6..... frequent login issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.