Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Taking Apple TV to my son's house?

Hi,

I am UK based. Later this year I am visiting my son in the UK for a holiday, and I would like to take my Apple TV so we can watch movies together.

My main Question 1:

He has a fast broadband connection. Am I right in thinking that if I get it all connected up to his home Wi-Fi that we can simply play back my movies without any issues?

Question 2

If I left it at his house for him to use, (I trust him with my iTunes password) and then bought the newer ATV4 for my use upon my return, would that be ok - or are there issues?

Question 3

If I visited my other son who is based in the States, already has an Apple TV3. Am I right in thinking that all I need to is change his email address and password to my details and we could watch my UK movies in the States, or are there technical or other reasons why we could not?

Question 4

Just out of interest, if my US son did not already have an Apple TV, could I simply take mine and simply plug in a US power lead to the UK ATV3?

Or what settings would I need to change to play my UK purchases?

Has anyone had this situation and can tell me if they got it to work?

Thanks in advance guys. :-)

Windows 10, Latest itunes version

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 3:12 AM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2016 3:42 PM in response to flobbyblob

Since no one has yet responded, I'll have a go.

1 and 2 should be simple. Though you and your son will end up sharing all subsequent purchases, since you'll be sharing the Apple ID and credit card info. He might also need the 3-digit code on your card to confirm purchases. It would be cleaner for him to get his own Apple ID, and configure the ATV to use it.

3 not so simple. You'll be using a US IP address when in America, and you'll access the US iTunes. Your UK credentials might work, but you will not see your UK purchases. This relates to content providers' control over what they release to which region, similar to the region coding on DVDs.

4 is essentially the same. These are not really portable devices.

Taking Apple TV to my son's house?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.