Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with app updates on iTunes being downloaded

Over the last few weeks I have had problems with the availability of the Apple download servers. Most downloads are refused due to the server being unavailable. If I manually choose each update I can eventually get them. All other progs work fine and iTunes diagnostics are all OK

Is this a general problem?

I am using iTunes ver 12.3.3.17 64bit on Windows 10

PC using WIN 10-OTHER, Other OS, Office Pro

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 3:12 AM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2016 9:43 AM in response to MCheshire

I've had that happen on a Mac with the latest ElCapitan and iTunes. As you have observed, the Automatic button fails cause as soon as it hits an app that balks, that breaks the whole chain and you end up having to try and retry manually.

Given the sequence of events and results observed when that happens, I'm guessing that maybe the developer is uploading at the same time and we come to a race condition where the app database and repository is in a transient inconsistent state.

I guess that old saying is true: Patience is a Virtue.

May 1, 2016 1:14 AM in response to MCheshire

I believe the issue is even more recent. First off, I've seen that apps get updated like in waves. I normally sync and back up the iGadgets on the Mac either once a week or when the App Store in each warns that I have many app updates pending. I have a 700+ app collection, of which about 450 reside at any one time on the devices. In the past 96 hours or so, I've seen an incredibly large number of apps get updated. We're talking of close to 50 or so.

On Sunday, about 15 apps got updated. No problems.

On Monday, another bunch of 10 or so. No problem.

Tuesday and Wednesday had very few (<6) so I skipped.

Yesterday the pile had grown to 18 or so. When I click Update All Apps, the problem reared its ugly head. Took a lot of manual retries on apps such as Lightroom, Dolphin and Skype before they finally got updated on the Mac's local iTunes Library, from whence they'd get synced on the devices. Funny cause Skype for iPhone balked several times but Skype for iPad downloaded at first attempt.

Thus an exercise in perseverance.

Problem with app updates on iTunes being downloaded

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.