Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Misleading Replacement Programme

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering if anyone else finds the Apple replacement programmes really misleading?

I have an iPhone 5 that was purchased outside of the UK. The battery and the sleep/wake button both died within a year and at the time I attempted to get it fixed at my nearest Apple store... over 2 hours way from me. Only when I got there I was told they wouldn't fix it since it wasn't from the UK.

Fast forward to today when I checked and saw the phone is now eligible under the battery replacement and the sleep/wake button replacement scheme which is for phones manufactured through March 2013. So I travelled to my nearest Apple store, a £80 train fare away and 2 and a half hours from my house, only to be told by the genius bar that the phone will cost £200 to replace on the basis that it was bought in March 2013 and so is not eligible for the replacement scheme.

Does anyone else find that this is an extremely misleading concept of the replacement scheme? Why advertise it if its now outdated. I'm angry beyond belief, especially on the fact that I can't even write to complain.

Is there anything I could do?

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 4:00 AM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2016 7:20 AM in response to Gemini-Cru

"

Additional Information

Apple may restrict or limit repair to the original country of purchase.

Your iPhone 5 must be in working order to qualify for this program.

If you believe you have paid for a replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iPhone.

The program covers iPhone 5 models for 3 years after the first retail sale of the unit

The support article addresses everything you mentioned. I would suggest reading it entirely next time before you get upset at someone else for following the rules of the program 🙂

Apr 29, 2016 7:35 AM in response to DavidOpdyke

DavidOpdyke wrote:

"

Additional Information

Apple may restrict or limit repair to the original country of purchase.

Your iPhone 5 must be in working order to qualify for this program.

If you believe you have paid for a replacement due to this issue, contact Apple regarding a refund.

This worldwide Apple program does not extend the standard warranty coverage of the iPhone.

The program covers iPhone 5 models for 3 years after the first retail sale of the unit

The support article addresses everything you mentioned. I would suggest reading it entirely next time before you get upset at someone else for following the rules of the program 🙂

To be fair, how would an iPhone 5 "in working order" qualify for a replacement program that is specifically aimed at defective, non-working lock / power buttons. 🙂

Misleading Replacement Programme

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.