Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX Library size problem

Why is my FCP Projects and events library so large? I keep my rushes on an external drive and save Projects and Events to my laptop hard drive. My Mac HD Projects and Events Library is now 119 GB. I thought the library did not hold any actual media? I'd like to create space on my laptop by deleting stuff but am worried I'll loose all my work.

Am I somehow automatically transferring clips from my Thunderbolt drive to my laptop hard drive when I create a new Event or Project? Does FCP store the edit as new media? I assumed that a "Library" was just data and not actual media.

How do I delete this material without loosing anything?

Thanks

Andy

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9), El capitan 10.11.4

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 4:28 AM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2016 6:22 AM in response to AndyPeardrop

Because you're showing Mavericks as an OS and you said you save events and projects to your hard drive. Events and projects are part of the library so they're not seen on the hard drive. That's what made me think it was an older version.

Media can be saved either into the library or into an external folder assigned in library properties, or media imported from a hard drive can be left in place.

FCPX Library size problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.