Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9.3.1 auto deletes all text messages

I recently upgraded my iPhone 5 16 GB to iOS 9.3.1. This resulted in all text messages being deleted from the Messages app.

The phone was running low on space so I thought the issue could be due to lack of space.

I also noticed that any new text messages get deleted after a few hours.

I have now upgraded my phone to an iPhone SE 64GB (which is also iOS 9.3.1).

However, any new text messages that I receive are still being deleted after a few hours.

Also incoming messages don't creates any notifications even though the settings see to be OK

When upgrading to the new phone I restored a backup of the previous phone from iCloud

I have checked message settings and 'Keep Messages' is set to 'Forever'

I have also tried to disable iMessage but this does not have any effect.

I can live with losing the old text messages and there's plenty of online advice about retrieving them from backups.

However I really need to fix the issue for any new messages

iPhone SE, iOS 9.3.1, 64GB

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 2:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 30, 2016 11:51 PM

Was this solved? I have the same problem too. Just upgraded my wife's iPhone 5 to iOS 9.3.1 (16GB) and all old text messages were deleted and new ones don't create notifications and get deleted. All settings have been properly checked. I've hard started it several times without any luck. This is absolutely unacceptable.

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 30, 2016 11:51 PM in response to mattpotts

Was this solved? I have the same problem too. Just upgraded my wife's iPhone 5 to iOS 9.3.1 (16GB) and all old text messages were deleted and new ones don't create notifications and get deleted. All settings have been properly checked. I've hard started it several times without any luck. This is absolutely unacceptable.

May 13, 2016 8:56 PM in response to mattpotts

I have the same problem just noticed it today and I updated maybe a week or so ago. It looks like the iPhone hid them. When I look at the memory usage it still says I have 1gb of text messages. So I'm hoping a fix is coming to retrieve them. I Need them. They are my documentation for my employees at work I keep up with.

Jul 6, 2016 11:44 AM in response to mattpotts

I am having this exact same problem. I realize that this thread hasn't had a reply in over a month, but I updated my phone from iOS 6 to 9.3.2 in June. I lost about two years of SMS messages and iMessages. I first thought it was because of the size of the update, as a good friend of mine who's very familiar with Apple said something similar when I told him about it. Now I'm beginning to think that the loss of all my texts is because of this problem. I don't check my phone often, so now I end up accidentally ignoring people because I don't get notifications. That combined with all of my texts being deleted every few days has made me very frustrated. I hope a fix comes with 9.3.3.

Jul 19, 2016 6:52 PM in response to mattpotts

I have the same problem. I updated my iphone 5 to iOs 9.3.3 last night and all my messages disappeared. I also still see them in my memory usage. Also everytime i send a new message, it keeps says sending even though my contact receives the message and has already replies. If you power off the phone all the messages are gone again. This is very agravating. I tried all the common solution found online and suggested on another page, such as reboot, reset network settings, and reset all settings.

I will keep an eye on this thread and hopefully someone can find a solution!

Jul 23, 2016 8:41 AM in response to StephZaraoh

I have updated my iPhone 5 to 9.3.3 this week and I am facing the same problem. Have also tried the hard reset etc to no avail! There are many people now with the same problem. Why have we had no feedback from Apple with at least an explanation if not a fix? I really do not want to delete and restore from an old backup as this time consuming and we will not benefit from the extra features of ios 9.

iOS 9.3.1 auto deletes all text messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.