Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost 300 GB space after removing a partition

In my attempt to install Windows 7 Home Edition, I ran into problems at the end and I went back to Boot Camp to start over. Boot Camp told me it can not finish because of some error and I should go to Recovery Mode to repair it. I did that and i did not see any report of error but HD is still at 2.8 TB, instead of 3.1 TB. The 300 GB missing are what I was assigning on the Windows partition. I decided to do a clean install of the whole computer. Everything went well, went back to the Disk Utility, it is still at 2.8 TB. I re-installed Windows again, this time it went successful, but I only assigned 50 GB to test it out first.

How do I get that space back?

As I am posting this and I reset the PRAM, I now notice that 300 GB is assigned as free space but when I try to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), it goes back to be free space. I will post a photo in few minutes once I am able to capture the screen.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

iMac (27-inch, Late 2012)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 5:21 AM

13 replies

Apr 30, 2016 10:12 AM in response to PPLIFE

The last few hours I have tried a different approach using a method described here:

https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/grub

I used the method on section 7.4 on the right, using Ultimate Boot CD. I could't get to the very last thing I needed to do because the computer kept on freezing. I went back to Boot Camp and made another attempt to remove Windows 7 because as of this morning, even the new 50 GB partition I had successfully installed earlier, was giving me the same error message. Boot Camp removed it and gave me back all 350 GB back. I don't know if Ultimate Boot CD method helped to at least shake some things up or what helped but now I am a happy man.

Thanks for your input. I really appreciate it.

Lost 300 GB space after removing a partition

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.