Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPod shuffle will not turn on or charge, not detected when plugged into my computer, gets warm when plugged into the charger but nothing. Tried reset and nothing

It will not turn on, resetting is impossible because it does not turn on, it gets warm when plugged into my computer (MAC) but does not show up in iTunes when plugged into the computer. It is like a ghost. How do I fix this?

iPod shuffle

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 5:08 AM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2016 5:51 AM in response to DanBarista

Make sure the USB docking cable is fully inserted into the headphones jack of shuffle, as shown in this document

iPod shuffle (4th generation): Not seen in iTunes - Apple Support

Otherwise, if the shuffle is properly connected, its light should be ON while connected, either blinking or solid (depending on the iPod's sync setting).

If your Mac is a laptop, connect its power adapter so that it's not running on battery power.

If there are are other USB device connected at the same time, disconnect all other devices, and connect iPod to a direct USB port on the Mac, by itself. (You can leave standard USB keyboard/mouse connected, if used.)

If the shuffle's power switch is in the ON position, disconnect shuffle, move power switch to OFF, wait at least 10 seconds, then connect it again.

If the Mac has been running without a restart for a while, shut down (power off) the Mac, then start it up, run iTunes, and connect shuffle again.

If you can't get it to connect (so that its light comes ON at least), it's possible that the USB docking cable is faulty, but you should have your shuffle checked. All 4th gen (2015) iPod shuffles should still be covered by warranty. You can make a reservation at an Apple Store Genius Bar (if you have a nearby Apple Store) using the store's web page

https://www.apple.com/retail/

or contact Apple customer support

https://www.apple.com/support/

If less than 90 days of ownership, you are eligible for telephone tech support, according to

https://www.apple.com/contact/

Aug 29, 2016 8:29 PM in response to Sathya From India

The suggestions (to the original poster) in my previous reply are applicable to Windows. Did you try those things already?

Are you using the USB docking cable that came with your shuffle? Is your shuffle also 4th gen (current type)?

In your case, the shuffle's light never comes ON when you connect it? Watch the light when you connect it.

Do you have a USB power adapter (that plugs into power outlet), like the one that comes with an iPhone (or other mobile device)? If you do, connect the shuffle's docking cable to the power adapter, and plug in your shuffle there. Does the shuffle's light come ON to indicate charging battery?

Aug 30, 2016 8:27 AM in response to Sathya From India

I would say there are two possibilities. Your USB docking cable is faulty. Or there's a hardware problem on the shuffle, such as faulty headphones jack or logic board.

If you want to try replacing the docking cable, and you get a third-party replacement cable (instead of Apple's official replacement), be sure to buy one that is described as being for the 3rd/4th gen shuffle. There are products for the older 2nd gen shuffle that look similar, but do not work with 4th gen shuffle (the connector is different).

My iPod shuffle will not turn on or charge, not detected when plugged into my computer, gets warm when plugged into the charger but nothing. Tried reset and nothing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.