Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Top Sites on Safari 9.1 not updating, and the menu command "update preview images" is no longer available. What to do?

In previous versions of Safari, it was possible to manually update Top Sites icons. Now that command is gone, and some sites do not update themselves. How can I ensure Top Sites are updated regularly?

Pages-OTHER, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 6:08 AM

4 replies

Apr 29, 2016 6:44 AM in response to David F. Watts

Click a webpage in TopSites and use the Command + R keyboard shortcut to refresh the page.

If that doesn't help, quit Safari then open the Finder.

From the Finder menu bar click Go > Go to Folder

Type or copy paste the following:

~/Library/Safari/TopSites.plist

Click Go then move the TopSites.plist file to the Trash.

Relaunch Safari. See if TopSites updates.

Apr 29, 2016 7:10 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Command - R will refresh the page, but not the Top Sites icon. To quit Safari and go to the TopSites plist each time I want the icons to be updated defeats the whole purpose. I'd be spending my time doing that rather than anything else. I wonder why Apple removed the very useful and easy 'update preview images' command. That was all I ever wanted.

Dec 10, 2016 1:54 PM in response to David F. Watts

I had this problem too. Some sides updated, other not. I found two reasons it did not work:

1: the page redirects to an other page because they updated the website.

2: they are using https instead of http

In both cases: click the top site. Wait for the page to resolve and copy the current web address. Then delete the not working site from the top sites, goto the newer web address you just copied and do command D and add the page to the top sites.

It resolved all my problems.

Top Sites on Safari 9.1 not updating, and the menu command "update preview images" is no longer available. What to do?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.