Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to force the Mail app on iPhone to open links in Safari?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if there is a way to force the mail app on an iPhone 6 to automatically open web links in Safari without having to first view it in the browser embedded in the mail app and then switching to safari manually via the button at the bottom? Right now when I click on a link in an email, it opens the website within the mail app (it might actually just be a mail-friendly version of Safari, but it's embedded within the mail app). Unfortunately, that means that saved usernames and passwords don't pre-populate, and when I manually switch over to Safari, that often loses info I had already typed into the website. I figure this is either an easy settings change or it's just not possible -- either way, knowing the answer will stop me from wondering. Thanks!

iPhone 6

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 7:13 AM

7 replies

Apr 29, 2016 6:08 PM in response to ember1205

I know what you're talking about, but sadly, no. No "Back to Mail" at the top. I'm realizing now that it happens with my iPad Air too. What specifically tells me that it's NOT Safari is that here is a button in the lower right hand corner that, when pressed, brings up a window saying "Open page in Safari?" It's only after saying OK to this feature that I can see the link as a tab in Safari and usernames/passwords//etc pre-populate as I'm used to. Any thoughts?

Apr 29, 2016 6:22 PM in response to sdwfromoh

You could try force-restarting the phone (shut down your apps first, then hold home and lock until you see the Apple logo), but the fact that your iPad is acting the same is odd.

If this recently started, and it was after an iOS update, you can try turning on Restrictions in Settings -> General and then turning them off again.

What version of iOS?

Apr 29, 2016 6:47 PM in response to sdwfromoh

sdwfromoh wrote:

What specifically tells me that it's NOT Safari is that here is a button in the lower right hand corner that, when pressed, brings up a window saying "Open page in Safari?" It's only after saying OK to this feature that I can see the link as a tab in Safari and usernames/passwords//etc pre-populate as I'm used to. Any thoughts?

That is by design, it works that way with my iPhone and my iPad. iOS opens a preview pane within the Mail app.

Apr 29, 2016 8:07 PM in response to elcpu

elcpu wrote:

sdwfromoh wrote:

What specifically tells me that it's NOT Safari is that here is a button in the lower right hand corner that, when pressed, brings up a window saying "Open page in Safari?" It's only after saying OK to this feature that I can see the link as a tab in Safari and usernames/passwords//etc pre-populate as I'm used to. Any thoughts?

That is by design, it works that way with my iPhone and my iPad. iOS opens a preview pane within the Mail app.

I Have never observed this. If I open Mail and then open a message that contains a link, tapping the link takes me directly to Safari.

Apr 29, 2016 8:24 PM in response to ember1205

ember1205 - I'm curious...which vversion of iOS are you on and with what device? This isn't a new problem -- just one I've never thought to ask for help on. I was hoping it was a quick "oh, just go to settings and unclick _____" kind of thing.

elcpu - Just to be sure, you're not aware of a way to force it to bypass the preview and go straight to Safari?

Apr 29, 2016 8:31 PM in response to sdwfromoh

I never seen it on any device from iPad 4 through iPad pro, iPhone 5 and up, iOS 6 and newer including 9.3.1.

My mail app always opens links directly in safari. The only behavior even close to what you're describing that I've ever observed is with the 6S/6S+ where you can force press a link to get a preview. That would not apply to your devices since they don't support force touch.

How to force the Mail app on iPhone to open links in Safari?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.