Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to stream DVDs from ICloud instead of iTunes home sharing via my computer?

I would like to be able to upload my DVDs somehow so I can play them all from Apple TV (gen 4) instead of airplaying them or having to keep computer on to be able to home share them from my iTunes (latest version). As it stands, if I want to watch an uploaded DVD on my Apple TV I have to select COMPUTERS and go to my library to select movie and then keep my computer on the duration. I have managed to upload a DVD to my Icloud drive in hope of being able to stream the DVD from there to no avail. I don't understand why this is the case and am unable to find any resources that explain the case however, I am rather new to all of this and perhaps I am not looking in the right places. Second of all, why can't I simply go to MOVIES on Apple TV and find them there with the rest of my movies as opposed to having strictly purchased movies there and other movies else where; they're all movies correct? Put them under the category MOVIE (this is more of an Apple issue I suppose). Is there a way to stream my DVDs from iCloud instead of iTunes home sharing via my computer? Any appropriate information or guidance would be appreciated thank you for taking the time to answer my questions.

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 7:57 AM

When looking at the top row of apps on the Home screen are the iTunes Store apps.

So the only Movies - Purchased are the one that you have purchesed from iTunes. The same is for the other apps in that row.

Look into Plex to stream your own movies as an alternative to the Computers app on the Apple TV.

6 replies

Apr 29, 2016 7:54 AM in response to Easteli

You can't AirPlay a DVD due to copy protection And discussions related to ripping commercial DVDs are not permitted here. The movies app is accessing the iTunes Store, and the purchases tab is for said purchases. If you redeem digital copies they will also be available there. The Apple TV is a streaming device, as above a DVD player is really what you need if you want to view that media.

Apr 29, 2016 8:04 AM in response to actionmarker

The Plex app was helpful. I especially liked the metadata it added for me. The only downside is I have to keep my computer on to watch the movies just as if I were to select COMPUTERS on the Apple TV home screen and select my library. Seems like I may not be able to avoid keeping my computer off if I wish to watch my uploaded DVDs. I was able to upload a movie to iCloud but am unable to watch it as if it were a purchased movie that's on the cloud. Maybe it's a copyright law of sorts. Thank you anyways.

Apr 29, 2016 8:48 AM in response to Easteli

As I understand it, Plex also has a cloud service that you can use to stream your media. (Presumably paid)

I have been using an iMac as the Computer to Apple TV for a number of years. I just set the Mac to turn off the display and never sleep and always have access to my Media without the need to rely on an external source to store my data or relay on my ISP to be reliable enough to stream HD movies to me at a decent speed.

Is there a way to stream DVDs from ICloud instead of iTunes home sharing via my computer?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.