Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

NetGear Router Issues with Laptops

I have a MacBook Pro and two MacBook Air laptops all exhibiting the same issues.

I can connect to either 2.4 or 5G signals with no issue. The WiFi stays connected but the connection to the internet gets lost forcing me to turn the WiFi on the computer off and then back on (basically rebooting WiFi on the laptops). The happens randomly, both while streaming or just sitting there,

Note: iPads and iPhones have no issues, and windows machines work without issue. I also have an iMac and a MacPro, both ethernet connect that have no issues, and there are other misc WiFi attached devices (4 phones, 3 iPads, home auto devices, TVs, AppleTVs and Roku). Only the laptops seem to have the issue.

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 6:38 AM

12 replies

Apr 29, 2016 7:15 AM in response to Smithface

Below are some general suggestions for Wi-Fi issues, maybe one of them will help. You could try posting in the Mac Forums as well.

1) Perform a Forced Restart: Hold down the Home and Wake/Sleep buttons at the same time for about 15-20 seconds until the Apple logo appears. Allow device to restart.

2) Reset Network Settings: Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. Rejoin the Network again.

3) Reboot Router/Modem: Unplug from power for 2 minutes and plug again. Update Router Firmware (check manufacturer’s support website for a newer FW). Also try different bands (2.4 GHz and 5 GHz) and different bandwidths (20 MHz recommended for the 2.4 band).

4) Change to Google's DNS: Settings > Wi-Fi > Click on the Network, Delete all numbers under DNS and enter 8.8.8.8 or alternatively 8.8.4.4

5) Disable device prioritization on the router if this feature is available.

6) Determine if other Wi-Fi devices on network are working well (other iOS devices, Macs, PCs).

7) Try device at another Network, i.e., neighbors’, public coffee house, etc.

8) Restore the Device (ask for additional for details if desired).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201252

9) Go to an Apple Store for hardware evaluation.

Apr 29, 2016 7:23 AM in response to elcpu

Thanks for the reply.

Re: your points/questions 6 and 7, the computers work perfectly at other places (coffee shops, offices, etc...). The oddity is that I cannot get them to behave properly in my home network. IPads and iPhones all work well here. Just the laptops are having the issues(?!?).

Have already tries 1, 2, 3.

Will look into 4, 5.

Thanks again.

Apr 29, 2016 8:58 AM in response to Smithface

Are your Macs running El Capitan? Older versions of Yosemite were using a networking routine by the name of DiscoveryD which was problematic. Apple reverted back to an older networking routine by the name of mDNSResponder on the later versions of Yosemite and now El Capitan. If interested, you can see this if you have this routine by using Activity Monitor on your Mac.

If you are not running El Capitan, I suggest updating to it. If you are, you may try posting in the Mac forum. Since the issue is happening on two Macs it is unlikely to be hardware.

Apr 29, 2016 9:07 AM in response to Smithface

I have found that many users posting complaints about their Wi-Fi connections are quick to blame Mac OS X for Network problems -- but often have less than ideal Router configuration, too much competing traffic, or too far away from their Router.

If you hold down the Option key while you click on the Wi-Fi icon on the Menubar, what do you get for these key values from the display that resembles this one:

User uploaded file

what do you get for PHY mode and Channel?

what do you get for RSSI or signal strength?

what do you get for transmit rate?

and very important, How many Networks you can see?

Apr 29, 2016 9:29 AM in response to elcpu

In addition to doing what Grant recommended you can also try this. As he mentioned, "hold down the Option key while you click on the Wi-Fi icon on the Menu bar". Then from the dropdown menu select "Open Wireless Diagnostics". Do not click on the window that opens. Instead on the upper left menu bar (now the Windows Diagnostic menu) select Window and then Scan. It will present you with a list of networks in your vicinity including all pertinent information, channels, RSSI (signal strength), etc. You may be able to select a better configuration by avoiding those channels and bands that are congested.

User uploaded file

Apr 29, 2016 1:17 PM in response to Smithface

You are up in the 5GHz band, well away from the multitude of neighbors in the too busy and too interference-prone 2.4GHz band. You have a good strong signal at about -56dB. Your Router mist be close-at-hand with few intervening obstructions.

Using 802.11n with a 40MHz channel, for a potential of about 150 times up to four streams. You look to be using two streams, giving you 300 M Bits/sec at MCS 15, with no slowdown symptoms in sight. You should be "fat and happy".

Apr 29, 2016 2:15 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Presuming that your ISP plugs in your connection to the Internet on that same Router, you may be able to use some other things from that same menu Option Wi-Fi, to your advantage. Invoke Wireless Diagnostics, and let it run through. It may provide some additional insights about your network.

User uploaded file

If it does not, just click ( Continue ) to Monitor your network, and leave its window open in the background. If something changes, you will get a notification of what happened.

NetGear Router Issues with Laptops

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.