Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook Pro Retina Display keeps freezing.

I bought my Macbook Pro Retina Display (2015 edition) about a week ago and have so far been using it mostly for general online browsing (on Safari), and using apps like iTunes and Notes. In this one week however, there have been two instances when, while on Safari (both of these times I was googling the definition of certain terms), the computer completely froze; the cursor wouldn't move, and I couldn't 'click' on the trackpad either resulting in me having to force restart the laptop using the power key. The computer worked fine after both times I restarted it, but I still can't help but worry about why this might have happened in the first place. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can deal with this? Thanks a lot!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 7:10 AM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2016 7:16 AM in response to MaeshaI

"but I still can't help but worry about why this might have happened in the first place"

If you installed any third party software, that could be what's causing your Mac to freeze.

If not, a Safe Mode boot deletes system caches that may help.

Top left corner of your screen click the Apple  > Shut Down.

After your Mac shuts down, wait 10 seconds, then press the power button.

Immediately after you hear the startup tone, hold down the Shift key. You should press the Shift key as soon as possible after you hear the startup tone, but not before.

Release the Shift key when you see the gray Apple logo and progress indicator.

Once you are in Safe Mode, go back to the Apple  menu. From the drop down menu click: Restart

Then see if the Mac freezes.

If it does, you have 14 calendar days from the time your items are delivered to initiate a return as noted here.

About Safe Mode

* message edited by CS

New Macbook Pro Retina Display keeps freezing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.