Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't search anymore - notes or email iOS 9.3.1

Folks, it's time to finally make the move away from iPhone. And I've had an iPhone from the first model. I'm still using a 5, and I can't search. Imagine that. I have long held that Apple should only make hardware and not software - and they keep getting worse and worse so it's time for me to bail - hello, Samsung! You can't imagine how frustrating it is - or maybe you can - but I've done tests where I search for something really obvious - like the title of a note right on top - and no results. I used to rely very heavily on this feature of course, to find a specific note about something or search an email - and now I can't search. Bye-bye iPhone!

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 7:06 AM

7 replies

May 16, 2016 1:28 PM in response to saintalphonzo

This is not an issue that I can state many are or have experienced. That would mean that there is some issue of the software running on your individual device. That's easy enough to resolve though, luckily. It's nothing like the days of Windows 95!

First, I would stop listening to those suggesting that you hold your lock and home buttons to restart your phone anytime something weird happens. That's the same logic of pulling the power plug from the wall anytime you want to reboot your desktop computer. It's not good for the phone or its software.

Second, I would start by backing up your phone through iCloud or iTunes (I preference iCloud). How to back up your devices using iCloud or iTunes - Apple Support

Third, restore your phone to factory settings. Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

--

Restore your backup onto your phone and after the phone has had a few hours to properly recatalog its search library, see if your issue is not resolved.

In the worst case scenario, there is some data that has gone bad in your software which can be restored through your backup, and the issue will continue.

If this ends up being the case, follow the article on restoring your phone to factory settings again, and then proceed to setup your phone as New. Avoid restoring from any backups when offered, and proceed to sign into your email accounts through Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Apple ID(s).

You can re-download or sync your purchase history from there, same as you always have.

One more article to share: Import photos and videos from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Just in case you have some photos or videos which you want to create a separate redundancy of from your backup files.

Contact AppleCare Support at 1(800) 275-2273 if you need any further assistance or guidance. Their phone support has been a free service for nearly a year now.

May 18, 2016 1:05 PM in response to BBoiss

Actually I'm having this same exact issue on my iPad Mini 2 (started with iOS 9.3.1 and has persisted through 9.3.2). I tried everything I could find to resolve it, and eventually did call Apple Support by whom I was instructed to perform the exact same forced reboot that you say is harmful. It resolved the issue for a couple of days, but the problem has returned -- I am again unable to do any search of emails.

I will attempt your recommended solution of factory reset and restore, but I'm not happy about it, and will be less happy if ultimately I have to start over from scratch.

I can't search anymore - notes or email iOS 9.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.