Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS X Server Login Window payload?

Hi,

I don't remember if OS X server ever had the Login Window payload in the profile manager, is it supposed to have one? If so, the most recent version doesn't seem to have it. Anyone else experience this issue? I'm trying to create a profile that controls certain features of the login window and I can't 😟

Thanks.

Mac mini, OS X Server

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 9:18 AM

9 replies

Apr 29, 2016 10:06 AM in response to Willy-G

I should confess that at the moment my Profile Manager is an older version. I have held off upgrading it because of the notorious problems with Apple breaking it when upgrading due to changes in Postgresql.

I also had a look at Apple Configurator and even the old iPhone Configuration Utility and neither seem to cover this. (The later tool not unsurprisingly since we are talking about a Mac only feature.)

Perhaps Apple have foolishly removed it from the current version of Profile Manager.

Apple do make some bonehead decisions. Apple officially no longer support login and logout hooks and indeed these do not work via MCX preferences anymore but do seem to work at least via my older Profile Manager and if locally configured. Despite what Apple may think there are still numerous cases where a login hook is the only solution and a user launchdaemon will simply not do the job. I would have no problems using a replacement if it could do all the same things which in the case of a user launchdaemon it cannot.

It maybe you could work around the problem by adding equivalent plist settings as a custom payload to Profile Manager.

Apr 29, 2016 12:28 PM in response to Willy-G

I can assure you that I am using the latest release of the OS and Server, and I have just searched for it on that. I didn't load a payload for my wife though, she might be upset!

Don't use a User or a Group, go to a specific device or device group like for instance portable Macs or Workstations and do it there. Scroll down, first will be a section for both IOS and OS X, thereafter IOS and only then OS X only. That is where you will find it.

Leo

OS X Server Login Window payload?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.