Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sign in menu choice greyed out

Hi -- when I open the App Store, and pull down the Store menu, the Sign In choice is greyed out (as are many others). Why is that? Thanks!

--PDN

MacBook, 10.8.5

User uploaded file

MacBook, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 7:46 AM

6 replies

May 4, 2016 6:12 AM in response to Carolyn Samit

Hi,

More info:

I think several months ago I was playing with Terminal commands, turning on and off the search index for some arcane reason (some software I was working with required me to do so -- using sudo commands I think -- I could look up my notes if need be) -- and something went wacky.

Now I'm trying to upgrade to El Capitan, but it gives me an error saying I can't download from the account I'm logged into -- try logging into a different account. (This could be because the computer was a gift from a family member who works IT at a big company -- they cycle thru lots of computers -- so the account is probably the IT guys account).

Hence the reason I'm trying to log into a different account.

Does this make any sense? Am I totally messed up?

One last question -- is there a way to download a fresh copy of the App Store thru a channel other than using the App Store?

And if so, how does one un-install the current App Store?

Thanks!

Sign in menu choice greyed out

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.