Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

lost all my non-purchased music and playlists

I have an iPhone 6s Plus, and yesterday went into my music and everything was gone. The purchased music reappeared after I had a wifi connection again, but none of my non-purchased music. All my playlists are gone. Can I get this back without having to reload everything?

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 8:01 AM

8 replies

May 8, 2016 5:50 AM in response to @jmpars

We have the same issue today. My daughter is in Japan and I had purchased her an iPhone6S for Christmas. She loaded all of her music from her CD collection via her computer to her phone. Today it is all gone. She cannot restore from her computer as it is 6000 miles away. She did nothing but turn on her phone to find it was all missing. Seems in searching the forums that this nasty mischief has been going on for some time. Shame on you Apple for killing files on phones. What can we do to restore the music and is is really gone? Seems strange for such a large amount of data to just instantly disappear.

May 11, 2016 4:47 AM in response to J11P

I haven't found any help on the music loss anywhere yet. Originally my daughter had lost only her non purchased music, and then her entire music library was gone. We looked in the Settings on the iPhone6S in the Storage area and 0MB were showing under music. Normally you should be able to see how much each song/album is taking up. Extremely frustrating as it seems to happen suddenly, without having updated anything. I think the only way to fix it given that there is no stored music showing on the phone, is to restore it from your backup. I ended up copying her iTunes folder from her computer onto a USB drive and I have mailed it to Japan where she is currently teaching. Hopefully she can restore from that as most of her music was from purchased CDs and not iTunes.

May 11, 2016 9:10 AM in response to J11P

I had to go back to my computer and download all the music again, but the playlists I set up on my phone are gone. Very frustrated that Apple makes it so hard for me to have my own music on my phone. I know they want to make money, but I feel like I'm already spending quite a bit between the Apple store and iTunes.

May 11, 2016 9:15 AM in response to tboake

I think what you did will work, it reloaded everything when I connected my phone to my computer. But no playlists - those are all gone. : ( My daughter said there is now some kind of storage for music on the cloud, but it seems to be an additional cost over what I'm already paying for the iCloud. One of my main uses for my phone is music, and if that continues to be an issue with my iPhone, I would seriously have to consider another device.

May 11, 2016 10:42 AM in response to @jmpars

The completely lost playlists are puzzling. I have had to switch our family iTunes accounts between computers more than once. So have successfully migrated all of the music and everybody's playlists as they are stored in iTunes on the computer. So you should be able to preserve the playlists on the computer and just drag them into the iPhone when you put the music back. If you add an existing playlist to a new iPhone I know that it copies the associated music files to the device as you sync.

lost all my non-purchased music and playlists

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.