Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SE

Hi,

I am from the Netherlands and I would really like to buy the iPhone SE. A friend of mine is going to Boston and New York soon and he offered to pick one up for me. I have a question regarding the simlock free iPhone SE. Is the iPhone you buy without a carrier contract always simlock free? I also read on the website of the iPhone SE that Sprint's network does not support a simlock free iPhone SE. I wonder if this is the case for Dutch network 'KPN' as well, although I assume it isn't? Are there any differences between American and European simlock free iPhones that people are aware off? My local carrier said that if I buy a simlock fre iPhone SE that they can change my sim card of my current subscribtion to fit in the iPhone SE. I wonder if this is possible if I buy an American iPhone SE as well.

I cannot contact American Apple support as I am in the Netherlands. I hope someone can help me out.

Kind regards

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 8:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 11:40 AM

The phone purchased directly from the Apple store at full price is unlocked (personal experience)

As to whether it will work with your carrier

Check here

http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE/

Please have your friend look for A1723

11 replies

Apr 29, 2016 9:21 AM in response to ManSinha

Thanks for your response. However, when I check the website for the SE, the FAQ on the bottom of the page says the following:

“SIM-free” means your iPhone doesn’t ship with a carrier SIM card. The SIM-free iPhone sold on apple.com and at the Apple Store is unlocked. That means you’re free to use a SIM card from a supported carrier. The SIM-free iPhone SE supports AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile, among others. However, it does not support Sprint. If you wish to use iPhone SE with Sprint or a Sprint-supported carrier, choose Sprint as your carrier when you purchase iPhone SE. When the Sprint model is purchased at full price, it is unlocked.

So it does not support Sprint and you have to do a subscribtion purchase with Sprint as your carrier. When I look at A1723 in the LTE list, I find Sprint there, along with my Dutch provider KPN. Doesn't this mean that this is only for subcribtion, and not simlock free? If I look at the 1662 iPhone SE LTE, I find many US carriers (Sprint excluded) but my Dutch provider is not included. So if I buy this simlock free iPhone in the US, I can't use it?

Super confusing. Hope you are able to help me out

Apr 29, 2016 11:40 AM in response to carryhaha

Meant to ask you

Is KPN a GSM or CDMA?

My online research leads me to believe it is CDMA

Nonetheless the unlocked 1723 is listed as compatible with KPN - what I suggest you do if possible -

- Print out the information from that page

- Bring it in to KPN locally and ask if the phone bought in the US (model 1723) will be made available for your use locally

- if they say Yes - then you have your answer

Remember though - there are no international Apple warranties - the local Apple affiliate in your country may decline to service a phone purchased in the US

And No I would not worry about Sprint subscription for a phone purchased at full price from Apple in 2016 intended for use outside the US

Apr 29, 2016 11:35 AM in response to ManSinha

Hi ManSinha,

Thank you for your response once more. I am not sure whether KPN is GSM or CDMA. I contacted them and they told me they couldn't guarantee for the US-bought phone to work in Holland, as they don't want to be accounted as responsible if it doesn't work.

I think this is what I will do:

Tell my friend to go to an Apple store in New York or Boston.

Let him ask for the A1723 SE model and have confirmed that this is the version sold internationally.

I will move to South Korea for a few months this September but I don't find the country mentioned on the Apple LTE page. iPhone's are quite popular there though, so I suppose they work there as well? Any reason why they wouldn't list the country there?

Once again thank you for your time. If you have any tips, let me know ; - )

Kind regards

May 2, 2016 6:08 AM in response to carryhaha

Hi,

Fellow dutch person here.

Actually been looking into this myself as well.

You need the A1723 GSM. As Europe obligated its carriers to use this technology (GSM) by law so that innovation could be more focused surrounding this technology rather than a more fractured market in the US (and possibly others?) where you have CDMA as well (or something in these lines, check wikipedia).

My question is, where to buy this. Apple does not offer it directly sim free on their website, only the sprint version.

I will let my American buddy have a quick chat with them and relay the message. If you find out anything else would be happy to hear!

Also warranty is global and 1 yr. As the European commission forced Apple to give 2 yrs of warranty the phones are now more expensive here (so much freedom so much wow).

Best,

Rick

SE

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.