Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Itunes deleted a playlist when syncing

I deleted a playlist from my iphone intending to sync a with new version in itunes on my computer. When I attempted to sync, it deleted the list from my computer. Why did it do this? I thought syncing was not supposed to delete stuff.

Is there anyway to get the playlist back?

Also, I tried restoring my phone from a backup to try and get the playlist back on the phone, but it only has the purchased songs on it, not all the files I ripped from the cds. Shouldn't these have been included in the backup???

Please help.

iPhone 5

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 9:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 1:10 PM

MABB17 wrote:

I thought syncing was not supposed to delete stuff.

Sync means "to synchronise" - to make the same, so if you delete a Playlist, that deletion will be synchronised with iTunes.

MABB17 wrote:

Not that I know of.

MABB17 wrote:

Also, I tried restoring my phone from a backup to try and get the playlist back on the phone, but it only has the purchased songs on it, not all the files I ripped from the cds. Shouldn't these have been included in the backup???

Backups do not back up the media (your music), only settings etc. The music from CDs should be in your Library, did you delete that as well?

For future reference, music on your device (phone) should all be in your iTunes Library and that Library should be backed up independently of iTunes backups, for example to an external hard drive.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 1:10 PM in response to MABB17

MABB17 wrote:

I thought syncing was not supposed to delete stuff.

Sync means "to synchronise" - to make the same, so if you delete a Playlist, that deletion will be synchronised with iTunes.

MABB17 wrote:

Not that I know of.

MABB17 wrote:

Backups do not back up the media (your music), only settings etc. The music from CDs should be in your Library, did you delete that as well?

For future reference, music on your device (phone) should all be in your iTunes Library and that Library should be backed up independently of iTunes backups, for example to an external hard drive.

Itunes deleted a playlist when syncing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.