Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accidentally lost all my files from External Hard Drive on Disk Utility

Hi guys, I'll try to be very clear since its my first time asking a question here.

So, I opened Disk Utility and attempted to create a partition on my 1TB Toshiba USB3.0 external hard drive (I thought I could have a separate slot of 100gb). But instead I end up finding out the Hard Drive is empty and changed from OS X (HFS) to MS-DOS (FAT32).

So my question here is, did I just erase all my information? If so, how can I recover it? Or I just created a partition and the other information is hidden (which would be like a miracle)?

It is very important I recover this information. I had almost 900gb from professional to personal files. All my work, personal projects years of my digital life was there.

Please help!

MacBook Air (13-inch Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 9:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2016 6:36 AM

This may be a possibility:

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

I have never used it so I cannot give you any recommendation.

Ciao.

4 replies

May 9, 2016 6:40 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks guys,

Actually I downloaded a software called Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery. Upside: I could recover most of my information. Downside: All of it has a different name, as in, they have codes now and I have to rename everything.

I was able to download and perform a full scan, you can actually see the documents that you lost, but in order to recover you need to buy the full version.

Anyway, I learned that there are plenty of Data Recovery Softwares, if you're in the same situation and can't afford a data-recovery contractor, this is your best shot.

Accidentally lost all my files from External Hard Drive on Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.