Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't log out of old iCloud account?

I have a bit of a unique situation and I'm not sure how to go about fixing it. I'm using my boyfriend's old iphone since he got a new phone. I've been using it for several years now. I never had an iphone before so I didn't know at the time that he was logged in on his account, so I just went about using his phone without him ever logging out. He gave me his password if I wanted to download new apps and whatever. Now I've made my own apple ID so I could use it for a new ipad I got and I wanted to switch the phone to my ID as well so I could find it if it was ever lost of stolen. He's totally fine with this. Except that now I can't log out of his account on my phone under icloud so I can put my new ID in. Not sure what triggered it, but his account is locked now (maybe me logging in on a new account on the same phone?). We can't seem to recover his account because it asks for his birthday and his actually birthday is apparently not the right answer. He doesn't know what he put down for his birthday when he was making the account apparently. You would think we could have an email sent to his email address to recover it, but apparently the one he used is an old email and he can't access that email now either.

Should I just call apple? Would they even unlock his account if he doesn't know what he put for his own **** birthday? Has anyone else dealt with something like this before?

Thanks for whatever help anyone can provide!

iPhone 4S

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 10:44 AM

3 replies

Apr 29, 2016 10:57 AM in response to FeministasUnite

We see questions like this frequently so please don't worry - you are not alone or unique in that regard

That said -

IF you have the correct password to the Apple ID account on your phone - you said you used it for downloads - then

Settings - iCloud - Find iPhone - turn it off (It WILL ask for the password to that account)

Then Settings - iCloud - scroll all the way to the bottom - Sign out

Force restart the phone

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

Although remember - when you bought apps (even free ones) for your phone - they came under the prior ID - so you will not be able to update them with the new iD

Then sign in with your new Apple ID

As regards your BF - if his account his locked

If your Apple ID is locked - Apple Support

Hopefully that gets you started to sorting out some of this - please let us know if any questions

Can't log out of old iCloud account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.