Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Issue with printing handouts in Keynote 6.6.1

Keynote 6 seems to see the existence of a movie on a slide as a "build" when printing handouts, causing an extra slide to print when using the "print each stage of builds" option. This happens even when there are absolutely no builds on the slide, nothing but a movie.

I'm new to Keynote 6 after having used Keynote 5 for years, so maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure it out.

Keynote 5 didn't do this. Is this a feature or a glitch?

MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 11:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 12:02 PM

A video file is controlled in: Inspector > Format > Movie and in Inspector > Animation > Build In

If you don't want the slide with the movie to be printed, click on that slide in the navigator then: Slide > Skip Slide

If you want other objects on the slide to be printed but not the video; delete the movie from the slide, after printing replace it again (command Z).

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 29, 2016 12:02 PM in response to ph@rdy

A video file is controlled in: Inspector > Format > Movie and in Inspector > Animation > Build In

If you don't want the slide with the movie to be printed, click on that slide in the navigator then: Slide > Skip Slide

If you want other objects on the slide to be printed but not the video; delete the movie from the slide, after printing replace it again (command Z).

Apr 29, 2016 12:30 PM in response to Gary Scotland

Gary, thanks for your reply, but it doesn't quite get at my problem.

The phenomenon I'm seeing relates the presence of a movie apparently causing Keynote 6 to print an "extra" slide in handouts that the presence of a still image or a text box does not cause. To illustrate - say you create Keynote presentation consisting of one slide, and the only thing on that slide is a movie, and that movie has absolutely no animation (not even a "start movie" build in effect). If you print handouts for that presentation, and you choose the "print each stage of builds" option, that single slide will print twice, even though there are absolutely no builds involved. Keynote 5 didn't do this.

I create large Keynote presentations every week for use in corporate worship settings. Each presentation includes many slides with multiple animated text boxes (song lyrics) layered over movies. When I print handouts to guide the Keynote operator, I necessarily have to select "print each stage of builds" to display each animation. Keynote 6 seems to see the presence of a movie on a slide as an additional "build," causing it to print an additional, superfluous slide for every movie. This makes the handouts confusing.

Keynote 5 didn't do this. I'm trying to figure out if this is a "philosopical" shift in what constitutes a "build" in Keynote 6, or if I'm missing something. Thanks!

May 5, 2016 6:17 AM in response to ph@rdy

The phenomenon I'm seeing relates the presence of a movie apparently causing Keynote 6 to print an "extra" slide in handouts

To be technically accurate, Keynote is not printing an extra slide, it is printing the build for a slide.

This is the correct operation for Keynote when you set "Print Each Stage of Builds".

When a video file is placed on a slide, a build called "Start Movie" is created automatically, therefore Keynote correctly shows the build for the slide when printing handouts.

A build is required for a video file so the user can control the order and timing, and if it is to be played automatically or manually.

that the presence of a still image or a text box does not cause.

That is not correct, any object on a slide with a build attatched (text, sound, video, shapes, charts and tables) will print a build in handouts, if "print each stage of builds" has been selected.

May 10, 2016 4:14 PM in response to ph@rdy

It would be really handy if Keynote had a "Don't Print Slide" option (which was different from Skip Slide).

But such an option doesn't exist.

Another thing you can do easily: Print to PDF (which opens the PDF in Preview.app) then just manually delete the extra unwanted slides before saving or printing the PDF). In Preview.app, choose "View/Thumbnails" and you can just click each page thumbnail you want to delete then hit the Backspace key.

May 11, 2016 4:32 AM in response to xmddmx

It would be really handy if Keynote had a "Don't Print Slide" option (which was different from Skip Slide).

This discussion is about printing Handouts, its not about printing slides which is a different option when printing.

However, to print a group of Slides, select the slides to be printed in Keynote Navigator, then use the Selection option in the print dialogue.

User uploaded file

Issue with printing handouts in Keynote 6.6.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.