Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Error message 3014 appeared after sync attempt to iTunes on 5th Gen. Computer no longer recongnizes my iPod. Have tried start/restart but still takes me back to the screen with the iTunes icon and USB cable. NEED HELP!!

I attempted a sync this morning of my iPod Touch 5th Gen to iTunes on the same computer I always do this on. I was prompted by iTunes to download the latest version (which I usually ignore and have no issues with during sync). Well today I decided I should probably download the latest version and...severely regretting the aforementioned decision.

I received an error message that read The iPod "Sarah's iPod Touch" could not be updated. An unknown error occurred (3014). I clicked on More Information and it led me to Apple Support. I followed the recommended advice. It suggested I agree to set the iPod back to factory settings. Once I agreed to do this, the computer no longer recognized "Sarah's iPod Touch" but now only recognized "iPod" and still I received the error message. The really awesome thing now was that I've probably lost everything on my iPod but can't really check it to verify because I now have this iTunes icon and a USB cable symbol permanently stuck on. Can't recall all of the things I have now agreed to/actions performed to fix it because this has been going on for about 5 hours. I do remember being informed that there was an attempt to update to iOS 9.3.1 but it was unsuccessful and then the error message just popped up.

Trying to get rid of that, I have done the pressing home & power, releasing power but still holding home, stand on one leg facing northeast, etc. etc. All it does is turn the iPod off, turn it back on and then take me to the screen showing that dreaded iTunes icon and USB cable. PLEASE HELP! I am a tech idiot and my patience is severely worn down by this process. I just want my tunes back, man! I have always been able to fix any other issue via helpful YouTube step by step for idiots but one does not exist for my specific issue. Mainly concerned about photos, etc. that I had stored on here. Need those back!!

iPod touch, Windows 7

Posted on Apr 29, 2016 9:52 AM

1 reply

Apr 29, 2016 10:30 AM in response to jackietreehorn81

Did you do all of this?Check for communication issues.
If you see one of the issues below, your computer might not be able to connect to Apple servers or your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch:
17, 1638, 3014, 3194, 3000, 3002, 3004, 3013, 3014, 3015, 3194, 3200
"There was a problem downloading the software."
"The device isn't eligible for the requested build."
Check for communication issues between iTunes and Apple software-update servers.

If you see Error 3194, Error 17, or 'This device isn't eligible for the requested build' in iTunes - Apple Support

If you still see the error message, check for issues with third-party security software.

Resolve issues between iTunes and third-party security software - Apple Support

Have you tried on another computer?

Another USB cable?

Error message 3014 appeared after sync attempt to iTunes on 5th Gen. Computer no longer recongnizes my iPod. Have tried start/restart but still takes me back to the screen with the iTunes icon and USB cable. NEED HELP!!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.